Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Photo Upload Mod Problem

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Photo Upload Mod Problem
I think I installed the mods correctly..

But I keep getting :

Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

HELP???
Quote Reply
Re: [dsmiley] Photo Upload Mod Problem In reply to
You really shouldn't be getting an internal server error if you installed the mod correctly.

Put your pre-mod files back in and make sure they work.

Then carefully install the mod again. Pay strict attention to all of the {s and }s. Those can cause a lot of problems.

Do you have Perl installed on your computer? If you do, that makes it really easy to find problems. You can add each little bit to the file, save the file and then compile it to see if it works. That way you'll know where the problem is.

You can just install some of the bits at a time, upload them and run the program. It's just easier to do it on your own computer.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Photo Upload Mod Problem In reply to
It worked before I did the mods....I'll roll it back and try again a bit at a time
Quote Reply
I finally got a chance to spend some more time on this...

The "Internal Server Error" started after I made the:

######################################################################
# file: db.cgi #
# after #
# $db_script_path = "."; #
# add the following #
######################################################################

use CGI;
$query = new CGI;
Change....

Any thoughts???

It's making me crazier....
Quote Reply
I'd suggest taking out the code that caused the problems and see what happens.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
Thanks for the quick response...

As I applied the mod, I saved and tested at each step...this is where the error starts.

I continued appling the mod until the end of the db.cgi portion, and the error continued. As you suggested..I commented out the

use CGI;
$query = new CGI;

No change, still errors
Quote Reply
There are two file upload mods. Which one are you using? There's one that allows for a single file to be uploaded and one which allows for multiple files.

Also, I think it would be a very good idea for you to reinstall the files that were before the modification and to start over with this mod from scratch. Make absolutely certain there weren't any problems before you added the mod.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
It's the multi file mod
Quote Reply
I just uploaded a new copy of DBMan into my webspace and applied the multi-file upload mod. I got no errors in the running of it.

My thought is that it's possible that you have a problem in your html.pl file. It's a little tricky to explain how to enter the code that will apply to everyone. If you're not familiar with Perl, it's easy to run into errors.

The only thing I can suggest is that you upload your files here or somewhere else so I can take a look at them. I can determine in about two minutes which file has the problem. Finding the problem itself can take a little longer. :-)

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
Can you send me yours that works??

I'm just working on getting one to work, then incorporate it into a larger database..
Quote Reply
I haven't tried uploading anything with it. I don't know for sure that *that* works. I just know that the files all work and there's no internal server error.

Anyway, it's here. Use it as you wish.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
I made the path changes and still no joy....

What am I doing wrong??
Quote Reply
What is happening? What exactly is said on the error message? What exactly have you done?

If you didn't change anything else but the paths and such from my files, then you probably didn't upload the files in ASCII mode. That's the most common problem. There also could be a permission problem.

I would suggest deleting all of the files from your server and starting over again, uploading my files (that have been changed with the right paths and such). Make sure every one is uploaded in ASCII mode and that you have set your permissions correctly.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
All I did was change the perl path in the db.cgi and the paths in the .cfg...and still get the same error

Attached are my files

The httpd error_log says Premature end of script header...

Last edited by:

dsmiley: Aug 15, 2005, 1:09 PM
Quote Reply
Your files are fine. No errors in them.

You're going to need to delete the files on your server and upload them again, making sure all files are uploaded in ASCII mode. That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem.

This error is when you first run the program, right? Have you been able to log in?

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
Yep...when I call the db.cgi file.....never get a log in window

I'll try the files again...its local to me, so I have a samba share and edit them with notepad...which is what I did this morning...after deleteing and re-loading
Quote Reply
Did DBMan work before you installed this mod?

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
I have several other dbMan databases running just fine on this server...but none have an upload function of any kind
Quote Reply
There is nothing in the upload mod that should prevent the script from loading in the first place. You have no syntax errors in any of your files that I could find. They all compiled just fine.

I did a little search on "premature end of script headers" and I found the following possible problems:

This error is usually caused by one of three things:

(1) The script file was created by a Windows program like Notepad and didn't get uploaded in Unix/ASCII format. Some FTP programs will translate Windows/DOS text files into Unix/ASCII on the fly with a proper setting. Otherwise you'll need a text editor that can save the files in the proper format on your computer.

(2) The script file's permissions were set improperly. Use the CHGMOD command in your FTP program to set the permissions on the script file to 755, or set it to allow Owner RWX permissions, Group RX permissions, and Other RX permission (where R = Read, W = Write, and X = Execute).

(3) There is a syntax error in the script. Often caused when a user customizes a public script for his site. All it takes is a stray keystroke, or an unescaped "@" to stop execution before it starts.

We know that (3) is not the case, because I've compiled the scripts and they compile without error.

(2) would be very easy to check and fix. Do that. Make sure all of your files have the correct permissions. Probably the most important is that db.cgi is set to 755.

My bet is still with (1), though. Notepad is a terrible text editor. Just because it hasn't caused you problems in the past is no guarantee that it's not the culprit this time. You would be better off with Programmer's File Editor, which is a freeware program and is available at http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000017700

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
Tryed all that...still the same problem...even tried a different server machine...

httpd error log reads:
Can't open perl script "
": No such file or directory
[Tue Aug 16 08:51:28 2005] [error] [client 192.168.204.52] Premature end of script headers: /var/www/cgi-bin/Test/db.cgi all the files and directories are set at 777
Quote Reply
I'm completely at a loss. Maybe someone else can come along and help or maybe you're going to have to do without the file upload.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
I see that the script requires perl 5.003 , the version running is 5.6.0?? but that doesn;t effect my other databases
Quote Reply
As a matter of interest, who is your server host?

I have been having problems with some of my perl scripts when recently moving from Webfusion (Linux) to 1and1 (Linux). Scripts that have not been changed since running perfectly on the previous server just refuse to run on the 1and 1 server. All the paths are set correctly and there are no syntax errors yet the server still cannot find certain files.!!

I, too, had problems getting the file upload mod to work on this server, yet it worked on the previous server.

Just a thought, and it would be nice to know who is the host.
-------------
David Olley
Anglo & Foreign International Limited,
http://www.firehelmets.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Quote Reply
Re: [davidolley] Photo Upload Mod Problem In reply to
It's my own machine...Redhat 7.3 and Apache
Quote Reply
How do I tell if the module is loaded??

This script requires that the CGI.pm module is installed on your #
# system. It probably is, but if you run into problems, you might #
# ask your server admin if the CGI.pm module is installed.
> >