Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Quick little question...

Quote Reply
Quick little question...
I don't know if it would be appropriate to be talking about this here, but here goes:

How many of you people have PHP3 and MySQL access at your ISPs, and would you give up DBMan for something using the above tools?

I was just wondering, because I've been working on something that is basically DBMan, written in PHP instead of Perl.

Since it uses SQL, it's way faster than DBMan, and modifications are much easier because you're dealing with pure logic, not storage, etc.

Also, it uses [what I think is] a much more flexible permissions system. Each user gets a clearance, and there are thresholds for all possible actions, adding, modifying, administration, etc. You can't do something unless your clearance is equal to or higher than the threshold for the action. You cannot see, modify, or delete users with a higher clearance than yours, keeping it secure.

So far I've completed the user management/security portions, but I'm planning on making the completed product open source. Is anyone interested in helping out or seeing what is completed so far?

I know that this really isn't an appropriate place to be talking about this (after all, here I am talking about what would be a competitor to Alex's DBMan SQL in his own forums), and I'm really sorry, but I figured that this is a good place to ask around. By the way, dahamsta, I saw your post at DevShed. I think this is what you were asking for.

# Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Quick little question... In reply to
Zoot,

The way my host has MySQL set up is that you don't actually need any user to access it using php3, you just need to come at it using localhost. It's actually the logging in that crashes MySQL on occasion, and removing the logon can be a bit of a pain on larger scripts, especially with my limited knowledge of php3.

However, I would mind an ol' peek at the script since you're offering. I'll open the email account for the address associated with my userid on this board for a couple of hours, so send it there and I'll take a look at it.

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
Hiya Zoot,

Well, I gave up on php3 some time ago and decided to concentrate on learning perl *properly* before I took the step into php3 full-time. Also, with the impending release of Zend, it seems logical to wait until a stable version of that goes on general release. When it does, I'll move into a dedicated server and buy all the add-ons I can get my hands on.

Also, as you'll have seen by the thread on DevShed, I did find a MySQL tool, phpMyAdmin, but it's more of an administration tool than anything else. And it's not compatible with my server as Vservers have removed user permission functionality on their installation of MySQL. So it breaks if you try anything in the least bit advanced. Seems a little silly, but I haven't really started using it yet so it doesn't bother me.

That said, I'd be interested in following your progress, and if there's anything I can do to help, you're welcome to ask at least, although my knowledge of php3 is minimal.

adam
Quote Reply
Well, the script I'm working on only needs access to its own database, and full permissions to do whatever it wants with that database. It maintains its own user list for flexibility, which means that you only need one MySQL user to run this script.

If you're interested in looking at it in its incomplete form, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you.

# Zoot
Quote Reply
Well, right now it's not all working right now, and I haven't written any documentation yet, so hold on, and when I'm done, I'll put it on the Web and tell you where to look.

# Zoot
Quote Reply
Cheers Zoot.