Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Problems w/"allowing user to change password"

Quote Reply
Problems w/"allowing user to change password"
I got and installed the new function that allows users to change their own passwords. The "html.pl" changes have a problem in this area:

my $found = 0;
foreach $line (@lines) {
if ($line =~ /^$db_userid:/) {
($username,$password,@rest) = split(/:/,$line);
if ($password ne $in{'oldpass'}) {
&html_change_password("Your old password is incorrect.");
return;

The $password is ENCRYPTED text while the $in{'oldpass'} is CLEAR text. Did I miss something? or it would appear that two things need to be added. 1) Decrypt $password before comparing to the "used supplied" old password then compare. 2) If they match then the "new user supplied password" needs to be encrypted before changing the password database.

The other BIG problem I encountered was that because the password comparies were failing I would get an error dialog. Not so bad but then I found that the password db no longer contained my user login info at all.

TIA, Bob Bryant
Quote Reply
Re: Problems w/"allowing user to change password" In reply to
Yes. I just realized that today. I'm going to remove the link to the change password mod for the moment until I get it worked out.

Sorry.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JPD! Tsk tsk tsk! Smile

Well, if it helps any, I found the password protection script on cgi.elitehost.com a great help in figuring out password stuff. One other point, and I think you know this already but Bob mightn't, you can only encrypt passwords, you can't decrypt them.

Sorry if I'm sticking me nose in where it's not wanted! Smile

adam
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response,

I did learn about how to troubleshoot broken scripts :-) If I have time this weekend I'll look into how to make the CRYPT calls.

Regards, Bob
Quote Reply
Hi Adam,

As I composeing my reply your post came in.
Thanks for the info on the web site. I saw a post from Larry McPhail which explians how
the password compareision might be done:
Crypt is a one-way function (at least in perl). The following is from the perlfunc manpages:

Quote:
"Note that crypt() is intended to be a one-way function, much like breaking eggs to make an omelette. There is no (known) corresponding decrypt function. As a result, this function isn't all that useful for cryptography." (For that, see your nearby CPAN mirror.)

Actually, it's more secure to store the encrypted password instead of the plaintext password. When someone is providing an attempt, instead of "decrypting" the stored password, simply crypt the password attempt with the same salt and compare the two that way. This is more secure. The first two characters of the "encrypted" password are the salt to apply to the attempt to crypt it and compare the two.

So it would seem that 1. Call CRYPT with the seed and clear password. 2. Compare the resulting encoded pw with the pw in the pass file. 3. If the match, call CRYPT with the new password and a seed. 4. Replace the pw in the pass file with the result. 5. if the don't match, retry!

Thanks all, Bob

Quote Reply
The problem is that I wrote the modification to change the password for a script that also had the password lookup mod installed. I forgot about the encryption that was required if you didn't have the password lookup.

What I'm going to have to do, as soon as I can, is make two versions of the script -- one for password lookup and one for when you don't have it.

Regarding encryption, look at the db.cgi script. There's encryption all over the place.

------------------
JPD