Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Passing fields to a new html document

Quote Reply
Passing fields to a new html document
I want to construct a web page from data returned from my search. My ideal is to display the data on the search screen (it now does this) and then pass some of the fields on a link to the new page.

I know how to pass the data /myscript.pl?field1=XYZ etc....
but I do not know how to un-parse the data in my called script. Can anyone help this novice?

Another question I have is how do you change the word 'ALL' to '*'. I have a form in which my options are "ALL, 1, 2". I would like 'ALL' to retrieve all data from the database but only '*' does this so I currently use the options '*,1,2'.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Passing fields to a new html document In reply to
You can define a regular option list in HTML and define the requested "ALL" as:

<SELECT name="Name of field">Name
<option value="*">All
<option value="next1>next1
<option value="next2>next2
<option value="next3>next3
</select>
Quote Reply
For your first request, I would recommend using the short/long display that will first show a short list of records and then links within each record that will take people to a detailed long view of the record. I think this is what you want, right?

You can download the short/long display mod at the following URL:

www.jdpeni.com/dbman/mods.html

For your second request, I am really confused. Can you provide a live example on your site?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Eliot
Unfortunately I'm developing all my website on my Pc (prior to moving to a ISP) so I can't give you a live example.
With regard to my first question:
I have constructed the search results screen I require. I now want to link from this to another screen (which is a constructed using a perl script)and I do not know the syntax to unparse (if that is the correct word) the posted command string (the one that runs my script ie /script.pl?/beds=4&rooms=2...etc) in this receiving script.

With regard to my second question. The database used a "*" in a search field to retrieve all data. I want to change the "*" to "ALL" so that the user can select "ALL" in a drop-down list and and then search the database.

Hopes this makes sense.

Thanks
Patrick