Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Private Emailer question, please HELP.

Quote Reply
Private Emailer question, please HELP.
I searched the entire board before I decided to ask for help.
I have the private emailer MOD installed and I am getting the following error when I try to send an email:
There was a problem: There is no email address on file for this person.

I read LoisC response to another person who had the same problem. He said to make sure that this line [<input type=text name="email" value="$in{'E-mail'}." size=40>] has the correct email field as in the congif file. I checked that, but I am still having the problem.

Will someone please help me? Please?

Quote Reply
Re: Private Emailer question, please HELP. In reply to
Looking at the mod you'll notice that error comes up in the following line in sub send_email:

elsif (!$rec{$db_email_field}) { $message .= "There is no email address on file for this person.<BR>" }

It is looking for the field defined in your .cfg file in the line:

# Fieldname that contains the email address of the user
$db_email_field = 'Email'; ### private mail

Make sure that matches your email field name exactly.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks so much for replying, LoisC.
I checked that email field in the config file about ten times to be certain. It is correct, but I am still having the problem. There has to be something else that is causing this error.

I have the password lookup MOD installed. When one sigup with their username and email address, the email address is automatically filled in in the add form. I have the email field set as a hidden field with the get email function.

I don't know if this could be causing the error.

Quote Reply
Perhaps it would help to see a copy of your files. If you would, please save your .cfg, html.pl and .cgi files as .txt files and provide the url to access.

It's amazing how sometimes a different set of eyes can find a small problem.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
LoisC, you are very Grateful, I solve the problem. In reply to
I want to thank you very much for replying and helping me with this problem.

I actually figured out the problem this morning. It was because I was using a hidden field for the e-mail filed in the add form. There was no place for a user to fill in their e-mail address, and therefore the e-mail was not being sent o the database.

I assumed that the &get_email function was going to record and store the email address in the database, but it did not.

For anyone else who may encounter this problem:
When using the Private Emailer and Password Lookup MODS, do not use a hidden field to get the e-mail address in the add form. Simply use a text field and have the user fill in their e-mail address.

Thanks again LoisC.