Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

It works, BUT I have a little problem.

Quote Reply
It works, BUT I have a little problem.
Hey all,

I have the dbman script working, but I run into problems when the database gets up to about 250 records with about 15 fields.

A bit of history. I am using dbman for a contest, collecting info, but I am not using it in the standard format.

It is set up so that anyone can enter info directly, with out the use of login. I have about 100,000 people that could be at anytime, entering info at anytime. Currently I am getting about 1 entry per min. It is just being used as a data collection point. I do not require or wish for people to have another username, and password. I am using dbman for the purpose of putting info into a neat and tidy database, and then being able to look at the data as admin.

Currently, I have to reset the database to zero, and this seems to allow people to continue entering info.

Is there away to work around this problem, so I don't reset the database every hour or so. I have removed the line of code which limited to 50.

This is where we are using the dbman, you are welcome to enter the contest.
www.advanmedia.com/cgi-bin/modembuddy/db.cgi

This is where my code is located so anyone can take a peek. I appoligize if it looks like a 'hack job'.
www.breddam.com/dbman/

David
Quote Reply
Re: It works, BUT I have a little problem. In reply to
The problem could be attributed to the following:

1) Size of your database (which I think we talked about before and you said that it is not that large, but with 100,000 users inputted data, I beg to differ.)

2) Traffic to your database. In terms of traffic, this could adversely affect how your database functions. File flocking can only work to a certain point. (You mentioned before, I think, that you are allowing the default user to add records, right?) Without assigning usernames to records, file flocking will not do a very good job.

So, to be honest, I think that in terms of traffic and functionality of your database, you should consider upgrading to DBMAN SQL.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Ok..thank-you for the responce.

yes to all the comments. I will

Anything that you can tell me about SQL version...I will take a look at it.

Again, thank-you for the info...

David
Quote Reply
There currently is no demo online, but you can check out the documentation in the DBMAN home page.

Specific questions should be directed to Alex via the email address linked at the bottom of every forum web page (Contact Us).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center