Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

How to set auth so Registered Users can add, view, modify, delete only own records ?

Quote Reply
How to set auth so Registered Users can add, view, modify, delete only own records ?
I need comments to make sure I do this correctly Smile

I am Researching the "Authorization Options" in DBMan. I want to set them so Registered Users can add, view, modify, delete only own records (based on userID and using a logon with userID and Password).

Why View?
I believe such a setup will allow the user to use "list all" on the form and only view what is needed (their own data/links).

Why Add?
I believe such a setup will help (if not eliminate) spamming to the database and help keep better control.

For my DBMan/Links2 project, I will then use Links2 side (templates) to allow user to view and search Links2 database (no password or userID required on this end of access).

It looks like I should use the following according to readme.txt... but I do not think this is correct:
set $auth_no_authenticaion = 0;
$auth_allow_default = 0;
$auth_modify_own = 0;
$auth_view_own = 0;

Any help on making sure I get this right in my DBMan auth settings would be appreciated Smile

Thanks
TimRyan

[This message has been edited by timryan (edited August 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: How to set auth so Registered Users can add, view, modify, delete only own records ? In reply to
Don't think that having a user login will necessarily prevent spamming of your database. My new database has been up only about 12 hours and I already had bogus entries in it.

However, it's a little more assurance.

You didn't say whether you wanted users to be able to sign up online. I'll assume you do, but will make a notation on the line that you need to change if you don't.

Here's your settings:
Code:
$auth_no_authentication = 0;
$auth_allow_default = 0;
$auth_signup = 1; # change this to 0 if you don't want users to sign up
@auth_signup_permissions = (1,1,1,1,0);
$auth_modify_own = 1;
$auth_view_own = 1;
$auth_user_field = the number of your UserID field;

You might also want to check out my tutorial page on setting permissions, at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/tutorial4.html

You might also be interested in using my mod at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/Mods/autosearch.txt, which will allow users to view, modify and delete their own records without having to go through the search page.

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited August 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: How to set auth so Registered Users can add, view, modify, delete only own records ? In reply to
Thank JPD,
I will give this a try. Thanks for the extra input/mods that will help better this project Smile

Also, very nice (and professionally done) site. I am sure it will come in very handy for us all Smile.

TimRyan
Quote Reply
Thanks much! Smile Adam thinks it's too "girly," though. !

You're welcome.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Yes, I noticed a few comments on that point in my travels of the forum Smile Actually, the colors are perfect and very relaxing after one has spent a long hard day of brain twitching programming. I am sure any Psychologist would agree that you have picked the perfect colors for soothing the "beast in us". Smile

TimRyan