Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

How do I create a simpler search page?

Quote Reply
How do I create a simpler search page?
I am very new to CGI or any type of language except html. I have managed to install and modify DBman on my site and get it look and do just about all that I want it to do thanks to this forum and JPdeni’s DBman-ual.
What I want to do is create a much less complex search page. I have a 12 field search page now and I want to create one that only searches the name field, city field, 1 resource type field(that searches all 3 resource type field’s), and the search options at the bottom of the page.

Go here to see what my search page looks like now:

http://www.foxvalleyart.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_search=1

I have waded through both default.cfg and html.pl many times and can’t figure out what to do to make this happen.

I know this can be done because I have visited other DBman databases and have seen simple search pages. I have searched this forum for a thread that deals with this topic but as of yet have found nothing. Could some one help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Don Ford
Quote Reply
Re: How do I create a simpler search page? In reply to
All you need to do is make a form that passes the db= & the uid= fields, allong with whatever you want to search.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I create a simpler search page? In reply to
here is a simple chunk of code that makes a form work from outside dbman, you could easily make it work from within dbman.

Code:
<form method="get" action="http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi"><input type="hidden" name="db" value="default"><input type="hidden" name="uid" value="default"><input type="text" name="TITLE" size="15"><select name = "index"><option value= "---" selected>Select One<option value= "books"> Books<option value= "music"> Chairs </select><input type="submit" name="view_records" value="Search"></form>

[This message has been edited by dataKing (edited February 05, 2000).]