Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Hmmm,....

Quote Reply
Hmmm,....
I want to put a keyword search on my home (HTML) page which will call DBman via FORM ACTION="etc...". How can I strip out stupid stuff people are likely to put in, and prevent * searches and such things...?
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmm,.... In reply to
I'm not sure how you can strip out stupid stuff, unless you define what "stupid" means. Smile You can eliminate "*" searches altogether if you want to, but it would mean you wouldn't be able to do a list all either.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
By stupid stuff, I mean HTML, SSI and Javascript I guess...how would stop '*" searches, and searches with HTML or SSI look-alike characters in them...?
Quote Reply
I think you can eliminate "*" searches by deleting the following line from sub query

($in{$db_cols[$field]} eq "*") and ($tmpreg = ".*"); # A "*" matches anything.

This will completely eliminate the "List All" function in your database.

As for html and ssi, I don't think that should cause a problem in a search. Only when adding a record.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JPDeni,

Thanks a mill....you really know DDBman inside out, don't you...? I meant to ask you, when do you sleep ..? Smile

You've really taught me a lot, in here and it's more than just Perl. Now more than ever in my everyday life, I try to emulate the patience and willingness to help others that you I see you demonstrate here.

You set an excellent example of a true community leader.

Question,

I do not want to lose the List All function from the rest of the site, so could I say something like

if the * is in field 1 (the ID field) then process it else do not process it

The reason for this is that I plan to put a Category search on the home page as well, and I would like to have a "Show All" Option which does an * search on the ID field.

Any ideas ..?
Quote Reply
 Smile Thank you for your nice words. You made my day!

Quote:
I meant to ask you, when do you sleep ..?

LOL!! It varies. I don't have a set schedule at all, so I sleep when I'm tired and get up when I wake up. Sometimes I'm not tired until 6 am. Lately, I haven't been able to stay awake past 10 pm, which means I get up early. Besides, I like to keep people guessing. Wink

Okay. You only want the "*" searches on the ID field. Hmmmmm.

I can't be sure this would work, 'cause I haven't tried it, but you could change

($in{$db_cols[$field]} eq "*") and ($tmpreg = ".*");

to

if ($field eq $db_key) {
($in{$db_cols[$field]} eq "*") and ($tmpreg = ".*");
}

Give 'er a try and see if it works.

------------------
JPD