Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Gaming DB Questions

Quote Reply
Gaming DB Questions
Howdy;

Ok first off let me explain what I'm using DBMAN for, I run a little gaming league for a computer game over the net. I have players and Admins using the DataBase (DBMAN) with most likey two data files. One for something called stables (kinda like a company) and the other for players. The players work for stables.

Ok with the basics of the database structure out of the way, here are my questions.

1) is there a way to have A field (not all fields) displayed on a standard webpage? Example: Lets say i have added a few records with three fields, name, address, and email. I want to show just the Name from all the db entries on a standard html web page.

2) can I have DB man link 2 DB's? For instance the players do work for the stables (in the game) and therefore should show up when the stable is quarried. Or do I have to do that another way? (if i could insert html code like in the first question then i can handle this problem alone)

3)I have to run DB from a HTML page so is their anyway to have DBMAN login inserted in a normal html page? example: I have frames on my page and would like to have the login screen in my main frame and then go to another web page, NOT the DBMAN interface. So having a normal HTML login would allow me to do that but DBMAN don't. ( could I use a cookie that dbman would read?)

Thanks for helping out us rookies figure out this thing.

Paladin

Quote Reply
Re: Gaming DB Questions In reply to
1) Yes...Search this forum, the Resource Center, and also LoisC's nice DBMAN FAQ site (which is linked in the Resource Center) for SSI.

2) Yes. Again search for Relational Mod in the above mentioned resources.

3) Yes...Copy the login codes from the sub html_login routine and then add a target attribute to the form codes, like the following:

Code:

<form action="/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi" method="POST" target="windowname">

Replace windowname the name of the window where you want to target DBMAN.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Ok I did that, but know I have two problems. It opens a new window, which I need it to open in the same window. (I don't know allot about this, I know its a HTML thing, but i have set it to open in _self but it still opens the link in a new window)
Second, I get a DBman internal error. If I go to the db.cgi file I get no errors their. what have I done wrong here?

Quote Reply
Well...you have to put the NAME of your main window or the window where you want the page to appear in the target attribute.

And about the SSI issue...there are many Threads that discuss this in the DBMAN Customization Forum.

Regards,

Eliot