Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Database or Other Solution

Quote Reply
Database or Other Solution
Hi,
I have spent months trying to decide the best way to tackle a database that needs hundreds of fields.
A lot of that time was spent on writing the Multipage Mod that allows me to add hundreds of fields to one record.
The Mod seems to work fine (still needs minor adjustments) but I'm concerned about having so many fields and hitting
the 1MB mark in a very short time.
As none of the fields are common I didn't consider using the relational mod but I am now thinking it may be the better
way to go so I have started experimenting (still can't picture how it all ties in).
I'm on a bit of a downer and wondering if what I want to do can be achieved with DBMan or any other database for that matter.
Just to fill you in, I'm trying to create a database of specialty hotels (Worldwide) and each hotel has a very detailed summary.
When I say detailed I mean hundreds of fields (possibly 600 to 700). Everything from name, address, location details to amenities,
staff, local monthly climate, sporting activities, etc...
I was planing on searching by country and therefore having one database for each country but could break it down to state or
city to reduce the record number in each database. This would obviously mean lots of databases.
Is this beyond the scope of a database? Should I be looking at some other kind of solution?
Any ideas on which way to go?

I have put together a list of Advantages and Disadvantages of the two methods I am considering and would appreciate any
input or correction (if I am wrong).

Multipage Advantages -
Able to search all fields at the same time.
Easier to transfer records to DBManSQL (only one db file)

Multipage Disadvantages -
Limited amount of records before speed becomes an issue.
User has to complete all add pages in one session (e.g pages 1 to 5) to submit the record.
Don't know if it can be modified to work with DBManSQL.

Relational Advantages -
Reduce the record size and increased speed.
User doesn't need to add to each database in the one session.

Relational Disadvantages -
May need to set up 5 to 10 databases for each country.
Can't search across multiple databases.
More difficult transfer records to DBManSQL from multiple databases.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.
Simon.

Quote Reply
Re: Database or Other Solution In reply to
The relational mod is the way to go, and if your data calculations show that you will be hitting over 1MB (and climbing with new entries, and not expecting many deletions), just do your development with DBMan SQL. It may be a little more time consuming, but the end result will be more satisfying, and you will have gained invaluable experience.

Quote Reply
I would think about going to DBMan-SQL.

This is not really a relational database.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks for you help.
I am going to take the plunge and set it up using DBMan-SQL.
This will be the third time that I have started from scratch.
Third Time Lucky!! Smile
I hope I'm not going in over my head.
I'M sure I'll be back to ask more questions.
Thanks
Simon.

Quote Reply
Yes...DBMAN SQL would be the best choice...you can easily incorporate queries across databases (tables) with similar primary keys using simply SQL query statements.

Regards,

Eliot Lee