Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Configurator

Quote Reply
Configurator
I tried JPD's Configurator and it worked really good for me while viewing with IE4. Then I looked at it with Netscape and found
it has trouble using the "list-all' function.
Error reads:
"Search Failed. There were problems with the search. Reason: no search terms specified "
If I use the wildcard in the "search form" everything is fine.

IE4 works fine and will list everything.
I understand Netscape is more critical than IE4 concerning HTML, I just can not seem to find the error I caused.

I can only imagine the work involved in the creation of the "configurator" I hope this post does not sound like I'm complaining
about it. I am a novice at this cgi/pearl stuff and I really appreciate all the hard work and time all of you put in to help people like me!

Best Regards,
John
Quote Reply
Re: Configurator In reply to
Here is where I put the scripts if anyone would like to view for trouble shooting.

http://www.a1med.com/help/html_pl.txt html.pl created by Configurator

http://www.a1med.com/help/default.cfg default.cfg created by Configurator

http://www.a1med.com/help/html.txt how I put the "record" stuff within the html.pl
Quote Reply
You might be able to say it is a problem with the configurator. Maybe I should figure out some way to change this, but I'm not sure how.

The problem is that you have a space in the name of your $db_key field. When you do a search from a link, it ends up with

&Product ID=*

Netscape gets very upset with thing like that and just ignores everything that follows the space.

My suggestion is that you rename your field to either ProductID or Product_ID. Make the change in both your .cfg file -- in the %db_def section and in the $db_key definition -- and in html.pl -- in both of the subroutines.

The only way I can see that I could adjust the configurator is to make it give an error message if the key field had a space in it. I'm not even sure how to word a warning at the beginning of the field entry page.

This hadn't occurred to me, because I never use spaces in any of my field names.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
You state in line (2) of you directions:
2) You may include spaces in field names. However, do not put a space in the field name of your key field.
I had this problem in school too. I read the first part of a sentence and blow over the second part.
Boy, to I feel like a "knuckle-head". Your program works great.. Instead of adding error messages to your script
how about just bolding the "However, do not put a space in the field name of your key field" for dummies like me.
That might free up more of your time to take on more clients in the near future. I'll keep checking your web-site to see if
or when you start taking on new clients. Your site has been of great value to me and I really appreciate your time and effort.
Thanks for taking time out to answer such an obvious question and I promise "when all else fails" to read the directions(slowly).
On a more personal note. I'd like to make a small donation to a non-profit (of your choice) in your name or if you prefer an "amazon Gift Certificate would be okay too.
John
Quote Reply

Quote:
2) You may include spaces in field names. However, do not put a space in the field name of your key field.

Don't beat yourself up over that! I just added that line after I read your post. It wasn't there before. Smile

As for taking clients, I don't know when that will be. I have a gargantuan job ahead of me that I'm working on for myself. It will be months before I have time to work on anything for anyone else.

For the donation, I would appreciate a donation to any charity that helps children. (I'm particularly fond of things like "Toys for Tots," but anything that focuses on children is wonderful.)

------------------
JPD