Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Alias for field name

Quote Reply
Alias for field name
Dear all,

It's possible to define an alias for field name in the detabase definition file and then display the alias instead of the real field name wherever I want to display a record.

I know other db programs have the sql statement: "select sth from db as alias". I don't know if DBman can do the same thing. My purpose of doing this is to replace the english filed name with non-english alias when records are displayed. I understand I can manually replace those filed names with whatever I like in html page, but I can not control everywhere like some error message it returned. For example, when adding a record, if I miss a required field, when tring to submit my record, an error message will be displayed saying that some filed (displayed as english field name) can not be left blank. If I can define an alias for some of the fields to use non-english words that would be very nice.

Thanks in advance.

Long

Quote Reply
Re: Alias for field name In reply to
You could change the field names to not be in English. That would be your best bet.

You can define a variable to stand for a field name, but I don't think it would do what you want.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Re: Alias for field name In reply to
Hi, JPDeni

I have tried both ways, neither of them worked. I think I will just let it be.

Thanks anyway.

Long