Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

....shopping cart, anyone..?

Quote Reply
....shopping cart, anyone..?
I would like to integrate a very simple shopping cart into a small DBman installation to test the functionality and potential of such a setup.

Can anyone help me with a Perl/Javascript script to accomplish this...?
Quote Reply
Re: ....shopping cart, anyone..? In reply to
Thanks JPDeni,

I will contact you on this. You're always so much help. I don't have the shop cart script, I kinda wanted some help to write one. !!!
Quote Reply
A lot would depend on the shopping cart program. I don't know how they work, but it's possible that one could be integrated with DBMan.

I'm afraid this is more than I can help you with on the forum, though. If you'd like for me to do some custom work for you, though, you can contact me through my website at
www.jpdeni.com

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi folks,

I'm working on a cart at the moment that can be run standalone from static html pages, integrated with dbMan, or a mixture of both. Later on I may try and integrate it with a categorised version of dbMan, operating along the lines of a cross between Links and dbMan with the record_long mod.

I was going to post here at some time next month for people to try it out in some kind of beta test program, so if you want to hang on a while you're welcome to download a copy then. It'll be a commercial product, but "beta testers" will be welcome to keep their copy and any updates for a period of time. I'll have to discuss the usage of dbMan or Links with Alex, since a shopping cart is by definition a commercial product, so the price would be the cost of the shopping cart added to GT's product.

I'll try and put a couple of pages describing it's operation and functionality on one of my websites over the next couple of days, but to give you a quick rundown:

The cart can be operated as standalone or integrated. In standalone mode (i.e. static HTML pages with no database), all of the data for each item has to be fed through to application through a form via POST (because otherwise people would be able to tinker with prices, etc).

When it's run intgrated with dbMan, the only required fields are $pid (product id) and $qty (quantity). The rest of the data can be retrieved from the database. All data, excluding price, can be overidden from the link or form on the product page.

Currently the program has add and remove functionality, and I'm working on the modify routines. I have tax and shipping routines ready, and I'll add them after I've written the cookie routines.

Carol, I don't know if you'd be interested in working on this, but if you are, gimme a shout.

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
dahamsta,

That's interesting...and you think it will be ready next month ....? Could I be on your beta-tester list, ...pleeeeease ...?
Quote Reply
Go for it, Adam! I've got a lot of other things that can keep me busy. No point in both of us working on the same thing.

Please keep us posted and, if you need any help with "tweaking," let me know.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
web dog,

I'll stick your email address on some kinda mailing list and I'll give you a bell when it's presentable. I will warn you however that I'm definitely *not* a Perl professional, so it's quite likely to be buggy, which is why I want to go with a beta thingy anyway. If you need to get something up in a hurry (so to speak!), I would look elsewhere.

However, no doubt with the "tweaking" assistance of JPDeni, it mightn't be all that bad! You might live to regret that offer though Carol. Smile Thanks anyway, it's appreciated.

adam
Quote Reply
Thanks guys,

I'll continue to look around for something in the meantime. However I would still like to beta test Adam's product since the integration would already have been done.
Quote Reply
I am looking into the possibility of integrating a shopping cart program into my DBMAN. It is not for the purpose of "buying items" from the Web but more like a notebook or bookmark function.

What I'd like to implement is a way for end users to keep track of the records they look at and formulate it into a table when they are done searching the database. This will hopefully be applied to our Class Schedule Database. Ideally, it would be nice for students to click on a button or link that will add the record to a temp table and then when they are finished looking at classes, they can create a final table, which can be printed out.

I know that this may take a lot of programming, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts and suggestions.

TIA

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
This might work with cookies, but the only cookies I know about are the Snickerdoodle kind. Smile

The other way would be to create another database that would copy the info from the main database and have a field for the student's userid. Then he could do a "list all" on that database and see what he had chosen.

It take a lot of programming to accomplish.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Gi,

Take a look at what I've done with a shopping cart script called CartIt http://www.cartit.com . I think this is one of the best Shopping Cart scripts out there, and the cheapest too.

http://www.koshervitamin.com

Thanks
Eli
Quote Reply
Thanks for the suggestions..although we are only looking for an interim solution until we have our full featured database program on-site (which is programmed by our database vendor), so purchasing a license for another program that will only be used for a year is not ideally what we are looking for.

Thanks though.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I'm also looking into something to integrate to my shopping cart.

Main reason I'm looking top integrate DBMAN is to have a realtime DB.

Basically, I want to have quantities available so when a customer clicks on the button, it decreases the available amount by one. Can DBMAN do this?

On a related note, once quantities=0, button to purchase would be disabled or redirected to a different page.

I'll work on the Shopping cart integration part, but not to familiar yet with DBMAN to see if it can do real time processing.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
That would be A LOT of work. DBMAN would be a nice front end for collecting data, but adding in those mathematical routines would be complex, if not virtually impossible with DBMAN. It would definitely need some tweaking or work with a third party product to accomplish what you are requesting.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited August 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot, I'll check the other Shopping carts that were mentioned (the one I use is Remotel;y hosted but works great since I don't have to have a secure server nad has all the codes for Link Trade, etc.). But the main functionality I was looking for was to integrate it with my existing Shopping cart Only If I could get DBMAN to be a "Realtime" DB. This was the "unresolved" issue for me a

I posted a reply to one of the threads but noticed that the last reply was a full month before mine so I thought the thread might have died.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
So it is a Cart you want!

Try www.Dansie.net The Dansie Cart works great and I have DBMan handle the database online. Any questions send them my way.

------------------
RJ