Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Question - Newsletter Plugin

Quote Reply
Question - Newsletter Plugin
Hi,

Regarding your "Newsletter Plugin",

Does it support or is it possible with this new plugin to verify newsletter subscribers.

IE, when someone signs up for a newsletter will it be required to verify your email address just as you do with a user signup in LinksSQL?

This feature is very much needed!

Thanks

Bjorn
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
Hi Bjorn,

A newsletter subscriber is actually a regular Links SQL user, which is the step that would handle the email validation of a user. If you do not have this turned on, as in if you're allowing additions to the database without requiring user signup and login, let me know.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
So, are the potential newsletter subscribers forced to a normal/existing Links SQL member signup page to become a member or are they able to be sent to a (new) Newsletter Subscribe page, that also adds them into the Links Members database?
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
The newsletter plugin only forces visitors to signup as member in LinksSQL to become a subscriber. But if the user is a existing member and if they haven't signed in yet, they will be redirected to the sign in page, and then they will go to the newsletter subscribe page after signs in.

Virginia
Quote Reply
Re: [Virginia] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
For a $200 plugin, I'm surprised that this feature is not included.

I'd suggest that this be rewritten so that LinksSql membership status is not required.

It would be preferable to have non opt-in newsletter signups, while the Links SQL members would still be opt-in/signed up.

There would be at least twice as many newsletter signups if this was fixed!
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
Hi,

If this is what you prefer, we can make a small modification for you to not require user signup and validation. However, this does open up the system to be a spam tool, where malicious users can signup their "enemies" to receive your newsletters, and this might eventually get you listed on spamcop for reasons beyond your control.

Please send me an email privately if this is what you want, we can make one copy of the newsletter plugin with this functionality just for you.

Jack.
Quote Reply
What kind of email mainteance does it have?

Can it detect bounced and un-delivered messages and take the appropiate action?

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Re: [adultdvdlinks] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
Unfortunately, there is no email maintenance. It cannot detect any bounced and un-delivered email.

Virginia
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply Jack,

But I dont quite understand it... I see what you mean with using the user login and its validation of signups. I use this, ie its turned on. BUT if you go to the newsletter page where you have the option to subscribe to newsletter it only asks you for email address and name. No login needed. Looking at user options and email options in Admin men and Setup there is no option for turning this validation feature on or off...

Have I got it all wrong?

What I really need is this:

1. Visitor goes to newsletter page.

2. Enters his email addresss and name

3. Email is send out to the entered email address.

4. User has to either validate by link or reply to email to be added to the newsletter page.

5. User validated and added to newsletter list. They now recieve emails.

This is of outmost importance to me, I run adult sites and REALLY dont want to send email to the wrong place. The same really goes for spamming. You dont want to get blammed for it.

How can I turn validation on?

Thanks!

Bjorn
Quote Reply
Hi there,

The reason why the user has to sign up for newsletter is because they need to come back to your site to manage their subscription list. It's not just an In/Out option. For normal Links SQL newsletter system, they will only subscribe to one whole directory, that means they will be either in or out of the Newsletter list and they can just simply put their email address and then unsubscribe from the list without logging into your system. On the other hand, in the Advanced Newsletter system, users are subscribed to different categories, how do they remove themselves from one category but not other? It must have a way for them to manage it and they must login to do so.

Virginia
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply.

But its not what Im asking for... I think...

First of all, I posted a message in regards to the old normal newsletter. Not the new plugin. What I need a answer for is:

Can email addresses / users who signup for the Newsletter be validated. I.E. before a newsletter subscriber are put in the "newsletter email list" they need to confirm their email address somehow, just as a normal user signup has to do.. How can this or should this be setup?

Without a validation of email addresses the newsletter feature is unusable, you will never know how you send emails too... The person entering the email address does not have to be the recipient as it is at the moment.

Jack mentioned something about doing this through the normal User Signup process, but that does not seem to work at all...

Do I make sense?

Bjorn
Quote Reply
Unfornately, the normal newsletter doesn't have any email validation functionality. What you have to do is either create a plugin and make a hook on the subscribe process to make sure the user is a valid registered user or just simply add a few lines of code to the file admin/Links/User/Subscribe.pm, but if you upgrade later, the code will be gone as well.

Add the following:

Code:
if ($CFG->{user_required} and ! $USER) {
print $IN->redirect( Links::redirect_login_url ('subscribe') );
return;
}

Under:

Code:
sub handle {
# ---------------------------------------------------
# Determine what to do.
#

That will ask the user to sign in first.

Virginia
Quote Reply
Thank you! That might do it!

Bjorn
Quote Reply
Hi,

Virginia, this looks like something that should be in the next newsletter code. Since it's just a few lines of code, you could wrap it in a config option for if_force_news_reg then check to see if user logged in, else, ignore.

What caught my eye, was you said it would be gone in an upgrade, but it seems simple, and if one person asked, I'm sure others will :)

Heck.... it's a lot simpler than the authorize.net stuff ;) <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Post deleted by mick31 In reply to
Quote Reply
___________________________________________________________________________________
Unfortunately, there is no email maintenance. It cannot detect any bounced and un-delivered email.
____________________________________________________________________________________
has this been added

Last edited by:

ajiimd: Dec 6, 2004, 6:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ajiimd] Question - Newsletter Plugin In reply to
We've not finalised our spec list, but at this point, it doesn't look likely that
we will. Please stay tuned to the main development thread for feature list
confirmation:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=274811

Virginia

Last edited by:

Virginia: Dec 6, 2004, 3:44 PM