Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

create some easy to understand tutorials

Quote Reply
create some easy to understand tutorials
It would be nice if everyone who create some plugin would create tutorial or at last redame.txt. I think if you Gguys would create some easy to understand tutorial about modifying your products and tips and tricks, you would save your self a lot of time, maybe more than you think. This forum is nice, but fool of junk and outdated information. Just hire one guy who is not professional so if he will understand everybody would understand and this guy would create the tutorials. I would welcome tutorials about Links how to create gallery, how to move links on different server, how to optimize links for search engines, how to create classify, some other tips and tricks. There will be plenty of people who would gladly pay you to do all the modification for them, but there are many people who cannot afford to pay the professional modification, so those simple tutorials would help them and save them and you the time. I know you are using the forum for many of those tips and tricks, but as the time goes it is harder to find it. I think tutorials should be posted in a weblog in stead of the forum. I have just bought the Gforum, but have bad feeling, because if I look at the phpbb site and see all the tutorials and support I think I should have buy the phpbb. I like very much the information design and navigation of phpbb it is simple and easy. Many times I get lost on your site. I don’t want to criticize too much I just want to tell you how I see it.

Cheers Pirate

Last edited by:

Alex: Dec 10, 2004, 12:19 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [modifier] create some easy to understand tutorials In reply to
Just clarification (after editing it’s little unclear) I was talking about the phpbb website, not about the forum when I was talking about easy navigation (Gforum is just as easy to navigate as phpbb forum) I was comparing gossamer-threads.com website with phpbb website.

Pirate

Last edited by:

modifier: Dec 11, 2004, 12:35 AM
Quote Reply
I'm not sure what you are asking here.

GForum is easy to use, and of all the forums, I like it the best. I find most PHP boards impossible to read, covered with graphics, and completely distracting. Great for kids posting "me too", but not really useful for "work."

We have asked for a means to move threads into an "archive" system, and to put messages into an FAQ system, so that nuggets of really good information can be moved/worked on without having to cut/paste into another area.

Andy has started to work on Gforum, and maybe this will happen. His PM manager is really great, and creating an FAQ system would be just a modified version of managing the PMs.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] create some easy to understand tutorials In reply to
No I didn’t criticize the forum I think the forum is cool I have post some URLs in my first message and some Alex deleted them and modified it little bit and now it has little different meaning.
I was criticizing the gossamer-threads.com website, this is one of the most confusing sites I have ever seen and I don’t understand if you guys can make such a cool scripts why can’t you make a good website? I was comparing the phpbb website because they have very good information design and it’s easy to navigate, etc. also I like the support of phpbb they have cool tutorials so everyone can learn fast. Looking for information and learn from gossamer-threads.com website is very confusing the only thing here is the forum fool of outdated information. So if I need something, I need to search your forum then I find 10 different people talking about one problem and everyone of those people are suggesting something different, so I have to experiment for a long time before I figure something out. It would be nice to have some organized sportive information, because many people will contact you with every little problem, because they know how confusing it is to find some accurate information in the forum, so you have to spend a lot of time answering all the emails. And I’m not just talking about the support forum on your site, the entire gossamer-threads.com website needs to be checked by an information designer. One of the things I don’t like is that some of the link colors are almost the same as the text color and with no underline it’s pretty hard to see the links. (This is in the Gforum script also), when I came to the gossamer-threads.com site for the first time I could not find the LSql demo and I was so disappointed with this site that I was going to buy different script from your competitor.
Pirate

Last edited by:

modifier: Dec 24, 2004, 10:09 AM
Quote Reply
We're going to be redesigning the gossamer-threads.com site soon and we will take your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for the input.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] create some easy to understand tutorials In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

I was just reading about your suggestion for management of FAQ through GForum and I think that it would be nice if there were something to deal with FAQs for a web site that uses GT products.

If I may I think that it might be useful to discuss what people expect from this type of product.

In a cgi script I'm using at the moment there are the following functions :

People can send a question that is held for editorial review, reviewed then either discarded or published with an answer (option to send the person that submitted the question the web site's answer via email if provided)

Published FAQs are inserted into categories (the categories order of display can be modified).
I have modified the script a lot to allow for CSS and XHTML compliance.

I would like to be able to use screenshots to illustrate the FAQs, at the moment I just hard code them.

Users need to ba able to search through FAQs, I'm using it with LinksSQL at the moment.

The script I use allows users to receive FAQ categories or specific answers via email.

Thanks, John
Significant Media