Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Community

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Community
More informations about (around) the community script could be very helpfull.

I use Links for my business since 1997 and since some years I had the idea to combine Links with member-management and shopping-functions. There are so many things I was planning and dreaming about and I was very happy at the moment when first time the Community was discussed.

In my online-business I was No.1 in my country the last years, till one of my competitors copied my concept and created a community (and more). While I'm waiting, waiting, waiting .....

I like GT, the scripts, the forum, the discussions, the users ...... I like to use scripts which I can customize myself ... that's why I waited for the community.

My competitor hired a freak who programmed what he needed. Now I need to live (survive) with the results.

Why is no usable information possible?

Nobody is angry about news that a script is not ready, but informations like "till christmas" "shortly" "next week" are frustrating when they are some month ago.

For me it's a bad situation. I get all my income through my internet activities.

Whithout Community and Shopping my project runs only in the 2. gear,
I need to switch in 5th gear soon!!

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Sir Up] Community In reply to
Yes, I agree.
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Community In reply to
Wow, someone replies, and that within only 5 days!!

Thank you!

Maybe next week there will be another reply. I'm sure there will be a reply from Staff before Dow will fall down under 2000 points.

--
Michael Skaide

Last edited by:

Sir Up: Jul 14, 2002, 1:10 PM
Quote Reply
Don't mention stocks and shares *shudder* Unsure

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 14, 2002, 1:15 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Community In reply to
Paul,

I assume you are invested in GM and SBC Comms. Bad situation Unsure

Maybe holding GT-Scrips will bring more success.

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
>>
I assume you are invested in GM and SBC Comms. Bad situation
<<

I'm not sure what GM and SBC are but still, Im up sh** creek without a paddle Pirate.

Whoops sorry for moving off topic.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 14, 2002, 1:28 PM
Quote Reply
It would be greatly appreciated if someone from GT could give some official information on this. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] Community In reply to
It's just a matter of time I'm sure. They must be pretty busy with projects to delay this for so long though.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Community In reply to
I bet the community addon will stun the whole net and all webmasters, probably the holiest script int he universe, no galaxy!:)
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Community In reply to
>>
They must be pretty busy with projects to delay this for so long though.
<<

I don't think this is secret but sorry if it is :)

Only Alex is working on the community apparently (to keep things consistent)....it is one staff member per script....Jason for GForum, Alex for the community etc...and as he's the president of GT I guess he has many other commitments as well as the community.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 20, 2002, 11:47 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Paul has it pretty much right. This has been my project for quite some time now, and unfortunately I have not had the time to get it to a point where it is ready to be released. It seems everytime I give an estimate, three other things pop up for me to deal with.

It's much closer now to something that I can release as we had a custom project using it.

Please remember, as I said earlier, Community only provides authentication services, similiar to MS Passport. It provides signup, login, lost password, and profile features, as well as a simple API for other programs to authenticate off of. We also have plugins for all our products that move any user features over to Community.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community In reply to
Hi Alex,

Can you give us a little more info on this part?

We also have plugins for all our products that move any user features over to Community.

Thanks!Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Community In reply to
Hi Brian,

Sure! Basically for Links SQL it moves the authentication, user signup, login, lost password features over to community. So with the plugin installed, when a user clicks on Add Link, it will check that they have a community session, and if so get their user information from that. If not, it kicks them over to the community login to either signup or login. Once done, it sends them back to the add form. It's very similiar for the other products as well.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Cool Alex.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Another question on Community if you don't mind.Smile

If a person has both Links SQL and GT Forum (and maybe even GMail) and currently has a userbase in both (some crossed over), will community combine the bases and somehow filter out the duplicate email addresses and inform the user of either GT Forum or Links SQL that they only have ONE username now and that the other one that they were using has been terminated?

Is this done with a pecking order such as:
First Choice: X Program
If present then check remaining programs for email and delete accounts
If none then...
Second Choice: Y Program
If none then...
Third Choice: Z Program
If none then...
Registration Page - Community

This of course is relative to the merging of the bases only and that any new user would automatically go to the Community sign up after the merge was complete.

I can see this happening on my application and I am sure that others will also.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Will the sessions be controlled by community and will community have a better session manager than Links SQL?

Currently Links SQL does not drop the session after X time of inactivity. So when viewing all users logged in it shows everyone that ever logged in and did not log out.

Thanks in advance!Smile
Quote Reply
Release Date?
Quote Reply
Re: [giovanni] Community In reply to
the other day an announcement was listed ... I prayed, I hoped and it was something else.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Community In reply to
I thought that was quite strange. Loads of people asking for community, and autorespond is updated. Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [giovanni] Community In reply to
In Reply To:
I thought that was quite strange. Loads of people asking for community, and autorespond is updated. Crazy

Why is that strange ?
Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] Community In reply to
Because there seems to be a higher demand for Community than Autorespond, and GT yet has to release even a BETA of Community or even a demo of the product. Seems "weird" to enhance a less demand product, I think that is what he or she means.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Community In reply to
I read something somewhere (by Paul) that different staff members work on different products so just because one product is realeased doesn't mean that the community development was put on hold. Alex is working on the community so another staff member is working on Autorespond (Mel I assume).

Last edited by:

PerlPod: Aug 21, 2002, 11:38 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] Community In reply to
Purely speaking in terms of economics, one would assume that a company would invest resources where greatest renumeration is expected. Aside from economics, in terms of expectation management, this was announced a long time ago, and thus people grow impatient as something that was announced is released further and further away from the announcement date. Some people greatly desire this particular piece of software, and as such I would apply the aforementioned epithet to the decision, although if you wanted to be particularly pendantic you could attack this descriptor as being ill-suited to the perceived simulacrum of Gossamer Threads.
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlPod] Community In reply to
Actually, Alex, himself, stated how things are done at GT, however, that still doesn't address the issue of why they are enhancing current products, while letting other very important and higher demand products go undeveloped for a long period of time.

And that, I believe is the point.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
> >