Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

mod_perl and multiple instances

Quote Reply
mod_perl and multiple instances
Hi, i've been modifying LINKS SQL to run it multiple instance on the same server. it works very good, but when in a mod_perl enviroment everything seems to been mixed up and things begin to go crazy.

Question: is there a way to load Perl Modules in memory and keep them in their own process/memory space?

Last edited by:

jaltuve: Apr 11, 2003, 7:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] mod_perl and multiple instances In reply to
You'll want to use Links SQL 2.1.2 if you want multiple Links SQL's under a single mod_perl. Earlier versions may step on each others toes.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mod_perl and multiple instances In reply to
Alex,

talking about mod_perl. I don;t know if Aki has mention this to you, but are you aware that under mod_perl, when updating table fields in the database editor for Links SQL some times changes get updated and sometimes they dont? I even checked the definition files and they were not getting the changes. But in a non mod_perl enviroment this does not happens. I was experiencing a similar behavior with the shopping cart software, because the session file sometimes is updated and sometimes it is not. What could be the problem? It is a random behavior, with both write and reads methods when trying to update a file. (session files and def files in this particular case) I would really appreciate what you can do.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] mod_perl and multiple instances In reply to
Hi,

It's object caching I believe. It sounds like the database object is not properly reloading the object when .def file changes. I'll look into it, but in the meantime, you should restart mod_perl if you alter the database (you also need to restart mod_perl if you change any .pm file -- i.e. upgrade a plugin).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mod_perl and multiple instances In reply to
Yes, Aki mentioned this cache thing could be the problem. Altough restarting mod_perl solves the problem with the def files (becasue they are one time changes) it does not with the shopping cart because of its condition of being constantly updated. I do have a question tough, why this problem is present just when manipulating files and NOT with access to the database?