Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

configuring a classifieds cgi script

Quote Reply
configuring a classifieds cgi script
Hi Folks

I am in the process of installing a cgi script on a site that sends all the categories result to one html page. The html page is not printed from the script but already exists as part of the setup. What I want to be able to do is let the script extract each category separately and place them on their own page when someone do a search for a particular category. I imagine I can do this with ssi pretty easy?

Also, as part of the classifieds feature I want visitors to have the ability to search the ads by keywords and find what they want. How would be the best way to go about this as well? I guess my main concern is since ads are placed whenever, there has to be a way for say a search feature to automatically update that information rather than me having to spider the page ever so often just to keep the new info up to date. Sounds like asp or similar but I am not sure. Never done it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [davetech] configuring a classifieds cgi script In reply to
Don't know why you want to print results into static web pages, but there are quite a few "spider" scripts written in Perl that you could use. I'd recommend searching www.hotscripts.com for "spider".
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] configuring a classifieds cgi script In reply to
I will, of course need a way to send results to a webpage for the category section. Visitors will be using a dropdown menu which will take them to a webpage result to show them only that category rather than sending them to the one page that lists all the categories. That is why I am thinking that ssi will work good in this case.

As far as the keyword search section, I do want to use a spider for the keyword search but my question was is there a way that the pages could be spidered automatically rather than me having to do them manually? Maybe far fetched. Just asking.

The only next thing I can think of is a database search but the script I am using does not have this feature.

My biggest problem is finding not only a script to accomplish the above things but one that also fits into the site I am building it for. The pages uses tables and I have to edit each and every one of them to squeeze them into the center of these tables.

Thanks for the site ref.

Dave