Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

can environmental variables be forged?

Quote Reply
can environmental variables be forged?
Hi there,

I'm trying to find out if environmental variables such
as $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} can be forged?

In other words, can someone fake the $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} and gain access to a program that properly checks for valid referrers?

thanks for your help.

peace.
Quote Reply
Re: [klangan] can environmental variables be forged? In reply to
Yeah I could fake my referer to bypass your checks. I could create fake cookies too.
Quote Reply
Hello Klangan,

I am guessing you were thinking of using some sort of identity or sanity check with $ENV{vars}

Server $ENV variables and their content are not a basis for security for the web after grade 1.

Read / use them for generally untrusted reasons.

It is just like giving away your Bank card number and pin to a telephone sales person. Trust = -0.

Do you need to secure the OS that runs the web service ?

Do you need to secure something on a web site ?

And how much $$ are you willing to pay Paul ?? (-:

cornball

Last edited by:

cornball: Feb 5, 2003, 7:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] can environmental variables be forged? In reply to
Hi,

Well, of course that depends on the ENV. =) HTTP_REFERER is not to be trusted and can be forged easily, whereas REMOTE_USER is to be trusted.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] can environmental variables be forged? In reply to
Hi Cornball,

I'm just trying to make absolutely sure that only one specific site is allowed to use a particular script I made. I'm using LWP to contact the server and currently checking the REMOTE_ADDR variable, but it sounds like that can be faked also.

It sound like my best bet is to give the script a convoluted name(so someone can't find it easily) then have my LWP script pass in a username and password, thereby authorizing access.

(The script provides access to user info (long story) - which is why I'm concerned about someone else finding it.) All data is transfered via SSL.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

peace.

klangan
Quote Reply
REMOTE_ADDR is a lot harder to fake than the referer.

Adding a username and password will increase security so its always good to secure something properly if the data inside is sensitive.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] can environmental variables be forged? In reply to
Thanks Paul,

Sounds like I'm on the right check.

peace.

klangan