Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

anyone is using cobalt server

Quote Reply
anyone is using cobalt server
i recently got adedicated cobalt server but i can not upload .htaccess file or any file that starts with "."
the only way to protect a directory is to use .htaccess
everytime i upload it , i get file transferred but i do not see it there.
is there anything i can do about this. thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: anyone is using cobalt server In reply to
Get an account with telnet access or an ftp prog that lets you run commands through it. Try
ls -la
rather than just
ls -l
for directory listings.
Files beginning with a '.' are intentionally hidden.

-- Gordon

s/(\d{2})/chr($1)/ge + print if $_ = '8284703280698276687967';
Quote Reply
thanks, it's actually there but i can see .htaccess with my virtual server using ws-ftp
while i can not see it on cobalt. does it have to do with cobalt?
another thing:
because of the hidden files i can not delete dir using ftp and i could not delete it using telnet either
i used this command:
rm -Rf dir_name but got an error . is there anyway i can delete a cat? should i use the su command?
thanks

Quote Reply
Use the following command:

Code:

rm file_name

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i have 3 more questions:
1)it seems like the the server is setup if ftp is not active for 300 seconds it quits. is there a way to increase it to 1200 seconds. it has nothing to do with my ftp program as it's 1200 seconds with my current hostimng company.

2) if someone type a url that's not found i want him to go to a page i already made for him and not get url not found. how can i do this on raq3?

3)how can do anything.mydomain.com on araq3?

thanks for your help!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
it seems like the the server is setup if ftp is not active for 300 seconds it quits. is there a way to increase it to 1200 seconds. it has nothing to do with my ftp program as it's 1200 seconds with my current hostimng company.
This is really NOT a perl/cgi question...Have you tried visiting Cobalt web sites or your hosting company's online documentation/support forums?

In Reply To:
if someone type a url that's not found i want him to go to a page i already made for him and not get url not found. how can i do this on raq3?
This info can be found in MOST if NOT all hosting company's online documentation. If they do not have any information on custom error messages, then they are not really helping their customers....

Anyway...add the following codes to your .htaccess file:

Code:

ErrorDocument 401 /errors/access.shtml
ErrorDocument 404 /errors/badurl.shtml
ErrorDocument 405 /errors/method.shtml
ErrorDocument 500 /errors/server.shtml

Then create a directory called errors and then create the files that are listed after errors/.

In Reply To:
how can do anything.mydomain.com on araq3?
Again...this type of info should be located in your server manuals or in your hosting company's online documentation. You need to find info about sub-domains.

Regards,

Regards,

Eliot Lee