Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

UNIX vs. NT & PERL/ASP

Quote Reply
UNIX vs. NT & PERL/ASP
Hi

I am wondering about switching from unix to NT, and would like to know a few things;
1.Is most perl script compiled, so I can use it on NT?
2.What considerations must I make when script are not compiled, and cgi-bin is on another server (path etc.)?
3.Is there anything else you loose on NT vs UNIX?

Any answer will be appriciated!

Thanks!

Are
Quote Reply
Re: UNIX vs. NT & PERL/ASP In reply to
Runnin perl scripts on a NT server is a lot different from unix. I think unix servers are a lot easier then NT. The main differences:

Scripts that send email will be very difficult on NT Servers.

Directory permissions are different and they have to be set by the administrator and not by you.

Unix servers can offer about the same that a NT server can unless you want ASP

Hope this helps,
Robert Saylor
Quote Reply

1) Perl is interpereted and compiled but either way, if you have a Perl interpereter on your computer (Active State being the best there is for NT IMHO), the alterations will be minor outside of mail scripts.

2) If your cgi-bin is on another server you would obviously need to correct any paths you have written in any calling code or HTML that uses it.

3) You lose power, speed, security and a real OS to name just a few Smile

-- Gordon

------------------
$blah='82:84:70:77';
print chr($_) foreach (split/:/,$blah);

Quote Reply
UNIX is better. (I worked with both NT and UNIX...NT is a nightmare in terms of directory and file permissions (but not limited only to this factor).)

The only good thing about NT is allowing multiple users to maintain Front Page Webs without having to create new userids. Other than that UNIX is a far more powerful and stable server.

BTW: You can use Perl as the scripting language for ASP scripts/files. However, it is not as efficient as using Visual Basic.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited December 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Btw, to help illustrate this point, Microsoft themselves know that Unix is far superior to NT. How so? When they bought Hotmail they tried switching their servers over to NT and their system came to a hault for 2 days until they got it back to Unix. Don't believe me?

http://www.netcraft.com/...host=www.hotmail.com

-- Gordon --

------------------
$blah='82:84:70:77';
print chr($_) foreach (split/:/,$blah);

Quote Reply
AFAIK, they also run their MSN homepages server on Unix, with Apache, not IIS. Which I think is hysterical. They're also employing several people to "research Linux". How long before we see a Microflot version of Linux? Smile

Want my opinion? Linux/Apache/PHP, with Perl for the stuff that it suits better. You'll never look back.

adam

------------------
PHP & Perl Coding -> adam@iewebs.com
Quote Reply
The reason that I wonder about what to choose, is that I can some Visual Basic, and as I have heard, its not to unlike asp on NT.

I have modified and used many perl-scripts, and I will learn perl at school, but for now, VB and asp seems a lot easier. But I couldnīt live without perl also.

Quote Reply
FYI:
There is a major security breech in any un-patched Win NT IIS server. Attaching ::$DATA on the end of any file extention will let you save the entire source of that document, including all perl or vb script.

Matt

[This message has been edited by matt (edited December 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Well, ASP files can be written in Visual Basic. They are not only similar, they are the same. If you know VB, then you can write ASP files.

BTW: Chilisoft can be installed on UNIX servers that will allow you to run ASP pages.

Go to www.chilisoft.com for more information.

BTW: Chilisoft ASP for Linux will be available in January 2000.

Wink

Matt,

Oops...Thanks for pointing out that security hole...I am no longer employed with Coconino Community College, but if you know a solution to this security leak, I would greatly appreciate it, so I can forward it to the new webmaster.

Thanks.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited December 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited December 17, 1999).]