Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

SSI Question

Quote Reply
SSI Question
Is is possible to include a text file using ssi from another server? i.e. - use ssi to include a text file from www.abc.com when your domain is www.xyz.com? Possible?

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: SSI Question In reply to
no, ssi does not work cross-server.

--mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
This is possible to perform using a FrontPage include if your server has FrontPage extensions installed. It cannot be done with ordinary NCSA/Apache extensions.

You could develop a subroutine using LWP modules to fetch a web page and insert it's content into your site. Check PERL Docs for usage of LWP.

------------------
Fred Hirsch
Web Consultant & Programmer
Quote Reply
I would like to know what would be the code for the fontpage include, this because i normaly don't work with frontpage, but have it installed on my server.
Quote Reply
To my knowledge, if you wish to use a Frontpage include, it must be created from the Frontpage client. The reasons for this are twofold:

1) Frontpage creates a checksum for each include that is generated at the time of creation.
2) Frontpage includes are not wholly dynamic, you cannot forinstance include CGI output very well with their includes. They are best suited for HTML alone. This is caused by the way Frontpage includes the item inline. When a document with an include is read, it is parsed by the server. The extension reads the include, and then, it detemines if it has been updated. If it has, it physically includes the information not only in the output, but it also changes the html on site. This can be evidenced by opening a saved FP document in either a 3rd party editor or FP Editor. Viewing the source, you will see the actual content bordered by the WEBBOT structure that FP uses for an include. This is generally a pain in cases of CGI output, because the FP parser will not always see that an update has occured or simply will not output anything at all.

FP also parses content based on what is between the BODY tags of a document, I have gotten unexpected results by including raw HTML without BODY tags, which is more common in standard SSI.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Ooops.. double posted..

[This message has been edited by fhirsch (edited January 06, 1999).]