Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Remote Variables

Quote Reply
Remote Variables
I was looking at a few trackers on cgi-resources.com. I was looking for a way to get the $ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'} and the $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'} on any site, but running just one script.

The closest one to my needs is Fluid Dynamic's AXS 2.0. In the script, you have the option of using SSI or place a transparent image tag. If I placed the image tag on sites other than the site which the script is running on, I can trace Mozilla visitors. I cannot trace bots that visit the site though. If I submit the url to the script, for example to altavista, the bot's host address and ip appears on the log.

All I need is a way to get both the ip and host address from remote sites. I was thinking of using javascript or ssi to get the host address and ip and put it on the query. Is that possible? If so, can someone show how to do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Remote Variables In reply to

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited August 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I cannot trace bots that visit the site though. If I submit the url to the script, for example to altavista, the bot's host address and ip appears on the log.

You can't trace bots, yet when you submit it, the bots host and ip appear on the log? I don't see the problem. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Right now, I can get bot's remote addr and remote host with only one site. I want to be able to collect bot's addr and host through people who have a small code on their site. . . Smile

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited August 18, 1999).]