Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Questions for Programmers

Quote Reply
Questions for Programmers
Hi.. You guys know me better as 'widgetz'.. I am currently in the need to return someone who has helped me a favor.. he asked me to get the following questions answered by a programmer (he needs three) and I thought I'd post them here..

I've helped you guys plently with Links 2 and SQL and thought maybe you guys could help me with this.. Replies are needed before tommorrow :) so it is quite urgent..

thanks alot.. just reply.. i'll forward them to him..

===

1. What do you do as a web developer/programmer? What is a typical day like?
2. What kind of education did you receive? What experience was required for you to go get your job?

3. How do you use math in this career?

4. Give me an example of a problem you might face using math.

(I basically need a problem with an equation...preferably one that also involves charts or graphs)

5. What do you like best about your job?

6. What do you dislike about it?

7. What kind of personal skills are necessary as web developer/programmer?

8. What kind of technology is necessary as a web developer/programmer?

9. If you were a student, how would you know if this career is for you? Intern opportunities? Other relevant fields to explore?

10. Anything else I should know?

Also please include you name city and company. Thanks a lot for your time.

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Programmers In reply to
I would reply but I am not a programmer. I may be wrong, but a majority of links2/GT script are not programmers by profession. I think most are like me, who wanted to build a site and found GT scripts and learnt a few things about building a site and using these scripts.

Quote Reply
hehe.. yes.. i found that out.. :)

only eliot sent me an email and even he isn't a programmer by profession just had like experience from college..

anyways.. thanks anyways. my friend got random people on AOL to answer his question but I think even they were lik 15 year olds. A lot of them didn't know much about anything.. one even said that CGI is not widely used on the internet and he said javascript is more powerful than PERL... hehe

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
Quote Reply
Uh...Jerry...It was NOT "college" experiences that I wrote about but also working at the Community College as a Web Developer/Programmer. Mad

And if I am NOT a programmer...How did I improve your review.cgi to do the following:

1) Create pages of New Reviews.
2) Maintain the Rating system without deleting ratings and votes.

etc...etc..

Mad

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i said programmer by profession..

i thought your profession had to do something with anthropology? sorry if i'm wrong

the questions were not for me and i did not read them thoroughly and the post was from what i remembered after reading it a few days ago.. i remembered 'college'.. and that was it..

sorry eliot

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
Quote Reply
My training is in Applied Anthropology (which focused on computer mediated communications via the Web, activisim via the Web, and education via the Web). My previous job was Web Technology Coordinator, which involved A LOT of programming (not only Perl, ASP, etc.), but also writing batch files and VB scripts. Wink

And there are MANY web programmers/developers in educational environments who I respect VERY much.

In Reply To:
sorry eliot
No problem.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
elliot,
don't blame it on jerry. you personally ever told us that you are not a programmer at all. what you only like to do is hack and hack codes.
so, i personally really thought tt you aren't a programmer at all Blush, but a bloody damn good code hacker Wink and specially on of the best hacker of links2.0 code....
hmmm... Smile

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.
Quote Reply
I am not a programmer by training, but if all you think I am is code hacker...you will not get anymore help from me, that's for damn sure! Mad

And you have a lot of nerve as a non-programmer, non-hacker, cut-and-paster to post what you posted. Mad

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
sorry elliotFrown,
it's either you get me wrong or i'd said something that's not rightBlush.
In Reply To:
but if all you think I am is code hacker...you will not get anymore help from me, that's for damn sure!
you'd been helping alot and please, don't because of this me you stop helping.

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.
Quote Reply
Too little, too late...Sorry.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Shocked huh? i just woke up from sleep...
too little?
sorry with sugar and honey on it and add a little bit of pepper plus all your favorite foods (Italian, Mexican, Korean, Malagasy) and.... Pigs Feet?

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.
Quote Reply
Eliot, lighten up. Everything that bioclef said about you was obviously meant to be a compliment. And to not accept an apology (even though the apology should not have been necessary) is ultimately uncivil.

Do you really find that "code hacker" is an insult? Did you mean to insult me when you said

JPDeni wrote some code hacks for this awhile back during the summer of 1999.

After all, what does a code hacker do but write code hacks?

For that matter, you have also said the following:

[Referring to something you posted] Now, with these code hacks, remember the following:

There are probably more code hacks to add to the search.cgi....

code hacks may have to be added to eliminate sending duplicate email messages to users.

I have tested some code hacks...and no success yet.

And that's just in the DBMan Customization forum. I didn't do a search in any of the Links forums. Obviously, you are a code hacker, if you write code hacks.

The way to deal effectively when using asynchronous communication is to not assume that people are dissing you at every turn.

My apologies to the moderator of this forum.

JPD
Quote Reply
I'd just like to echo affirmative to JPDeni's response. She is the epitome of what
community (this forum) and group sharing is all about. Not once have I ever seen her
respond in a surly or unfriendly manner. Bioclef, if you need any help feel free to call on
on me, a "code hacker", not professionally trained as a programmer but pretty adept in
various disciplines. Although I think JPDeni would be the first to agree their are several
others here who like to contribute positively, the rest of us probably agree unanimously
that she is the "Ultimate DBman Goddess Code Hacker".

easy does it
Quote Reply
None needed, I agree:)

-- Gordon

s/(\d{2})/chr($1)/ge + print if $_ = '8284703280698276687967';
Quote Reply
thanks guys,
really appreciates your cooperation.

elliot: to you too, thanks for all your help that you'd gave me. c'mon...

jerry: sorry for messing up your thread. i know there will be question-marks on your head when reading this thread.

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.