Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

If they tell you that Perl is old school . . .

Quote Reply
If they tell you that Perl is old school . . .
http://soldc.sun.com/polls/index.jshtml

Quote Reply
Re: If they tell you that Perl is old school . . . In reply to
i'm sorry.. but JSP is much better than PERL..

you can do lots of cool things with it.. PERL.. just gets stuff and prints stuff..
Practical Extracting and Reporting Language?? i forget what it stood for..

java is less popular because it is harder to learn and compiling it is annoying. perl on the other hand lets most errors slip by.

Jerry Su
http://www.jsu07.com
Quote Reply
That poll was skewed as it got posted on use.perl.org. ;)

As for Jerry's comments? Ack.

In Reply To:
you can do lots of cool things with it.. PERL.. just gets stuff and prints stuff..
Almost anything you can do in Java you can do in Perl.

In Reply To:
java is less popular because it is harder to learn and compiling it is annoying
Not true either. Java is very easy to learn. Most beginners pick it up quite easily. It's not well suited to web apps, as unless you are on your own sun server, getting an environment that will even run jsp or servlets is very challenging. Perl is much more friendly that way.

In Reply To:
perl on the other hand lets most errors slip by
Program in use strict, with -w and -T turned on. That's what they are there for.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Also ever tried running a Java web app on a low spec computer - huh, forget it.

Slow lane city Big Time!

Eraser:
Insight Eye
http://www.insighteye.com/
Quote Reply
and how about a forced usage of both get and post methods in your development? how absurd can you get?
perl allows you to do anything and do only what you need to do without having to code extraneous crap.

people talk about the speed of jsp compared to perl but obviously know little to nothing about mod_perl.
persistent datbase connections, precompiled CGIs, blazing speed.

i've also heard the argument about the beauty of Java's OO.
again, they know nothing of perl. perl provides the most flexible and robust object orientation of any language i've ever seen; you just have to know it's there and use it.

out of curiosity, what can't you do in perl that you can with java? yes, perl started out as a text manipulation language and still owns any other language for that. but it can do anything the other languages can do.

how about data types? can java hold a candle? i don't think so:) can you create annonymous subroutines within nested array references inside a hash in java? i'de like to see it.

how about regular expressions? can jsp create a one line expression to solve the towers of hanoi?

i'm always amused when people talk about perl and don't know the truth.

-g

s/(\d{2})/chr($1)/ge + print if $_ = '8284703280698276687967';