Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

IE Blues

Quote Reply
IE Blues
Well, I have to say that I never use Internet Explorer but I always test the design and look with that browser before going live. Anyway, I seem to be running into an error and I have no idea what it is. It seems to only be happening when I run a certain form.....so I'm thinking there might be a problem with the script/form....but the strange part is Netscape runs it fine. Like I said, I'm not familiar with IE one bit...so I'll post the error message here and if someone has seen this before, or if you know if this message is referencing my script or a bug with the browser let me know please? Here's the message:

-------------------------------------------
Title - Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 24
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code 0

Continue with the script?
yes no
-------------------------------------------

BTW- it's a little javascript window that opens up and gives this error/message, it's not like the script is spitting out a message or anything. If you hit yes to continue, the script works fine. Anyway, your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: IE Blues In reply to
I don't think this has anything to do with your script, unless the page you are getting the error on is a CGI script. If so then maybe you havn't escaped a $variable or something like that? Cool

Andy

Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's a browser issue...because in fact the script is not pulling an error---like I said the error is a little (javascript type) window which pops up.....and doesn't come from the script at all. I guess my main question was if there's an error with the browser....does IE normally print messages in windows like that or does it also print messages like that for actuall script errors? I think it might be safe to assume that the problem is with the browser....but I thought I'd get a second opinion. I just haven't used IE enough to know what that error is. Thanks again for replying...I appreciate it.

Quote Reply
Problem solved. Well, it turns out that there was a javascript error on the page itself. Not so much an error, but a missing function. I never knew IE would warn you about stuff like that. Anyway, thanks for your time.

Quote Reply
Just for your information...if you want to disable the warnings in IE you can select tools-> internet options and the advanced tab and check "disable script debugging." I sometimes go to sites that have errors and the warnings can get annoying real fast.

later,
Paul

http://www.fullmoonshining.com for Pearl Jam Fans
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
warnings can get annoying real fast
Yeah, I hear ya. I try to stay away from IE as much as possible.....I've been using Netscape from day 1 and the only time I ever use IE is after building a site---just to make sure it looks right.

Quote Reply
It shouldn't do that Frown. Maybe you want to have a look at some javascript code sites (http://www.javascriptsource.com etc) and get a different bit of code. Maybe your code isn't cross browser, that could be why it is printing it :)

Andy