Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Help - before I shoot myself

Quote Reply
Help - before I shoot myself
I can not seem to get using cgi files down. And its driving me nuts.

Right now I am trying to install link 2.0, I have it in the cgi-bin directory. Have the admin file set to 777.

Every time I try to load it up it goes to download the file instead of run it.

I know I have to be doing something simle wrong - but I have no clue what.

Quote Reply
Re: Help - before I shoot myself In reply to
Set permissions to 755

Quote Reply
BTW- You might want to post your installation question in the links installation forum...because you'll get a better response....just a thought.

Quote Reply
Dang - I cant even type write. I did had them at 755 not 777.

Sorry about that. The reason I posted here is I considered this more of a cgi prob than an install prob - since i cant even get to the install part.

Well since I typed that wrong, and had already done the suggestion - I still have the same prob.

Quote Reply
Hi:

Check with your web host to ensure that CGI is enabled for your account and your CGI-BIN. Also, CHMOD the admin directory 0755 (drwxr_xr_x) and NOT 0777 as this can pose a serious security risk. Only data directories (preferably web inaccessible) should be chmod 0777. If you still have problems, then contact your web host.

Dan Cool

Quote Reply
That is were I am getting confused - I have other cgi scripts that are running with out a prob.

Quote Reply
I would check the syntax of your files and also check your ERROR logs...most likely, the problem is with lack of absolute paths in require lines in your .cgi scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I hate to admit it, but I had no clue about CGI's when I first started with Links 2.0. I figures that the best solution was to let Gossamer Threads do the install.
I was right!
They did a great job and helped me so much that I can never thank them. Even when I switched servers, they were there to help.
My suggestion...Leave the important stuff up to the professionals. Get the engine running and you will learn more as you go along.
I know I've progressed by leaps and bounds- can probably do the install myself now (maybe not-rather not find out!).

Greg
(Thanks Virginia)