Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Admin/Root Hosting?

Quote Reply
Admin/Root Hosting?
Does anyone know of an inexpensive host that offers admin/root access? I have some cgi scripts that require this type of access. Either that or a host that will set up the scripts for me.

Thanks,
Adam

Quote Reply
Re: Admin/Root Hosting? In reply to
What a revolutionary idea! Why don't you be the first to do that? Install Linux on your home machine and offer shell accounts with root access. Please be sure to let me know the ip so I can get one! (Pentagon here I come) Let me know first so I have time to enjoy it before someone comes on and (intentionally or not) typos and does
chmod a-x /*
instead of
chmod a-x ./*

-- Gordon

s/(\d{2})/chr($1)/ge + print if $_ = '8284703280698276687967';
Quote Reply
For starters, there are hosting companies that do offer root access for dedicated servers. I did not specify that I was looking for a shared or virtual server, just someone elses server and inexpensive.

And beyond that....The other part of my question was about a host that would do the install for me.

Quote Reply
You also mentioned inexpensive and there is no such thing when it comes to having your own machine with root access.
As for installing scripts for you, any host worth 2 cents would do that for you. If they won't, you need to change hosts. Along with the various machines I own and maintain, I also use Dune.net and the administrators have been extremely helpful in setting up any modules or software that I need, provided they don't pose a security risk.

-- Gordon

s/(\d{2})/chr($1)/ge + print if $_ = '8284703280698276687967';