Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

CGI - Just stopped working??!

Quote Reply
CGI - Just stopped working??!
I wonder if anyone can help me...

We run CGI scripts on our UNIX server. One in particular allows a user to enter date which is then emailed to a recipient on 'Send'. These forms work correctly 99% but occassionally the recipient stops getting emails - or they're delayed. The CGI 'appears' to be functioning correctly though as it still takes you to the confirmation page.

We have always assumed this was a problem with the server but our Server Administrator claims it is a problem with the CGI.

Does CGI just stop working though? I don't understand how it can process correctly one minute and then fail the next. What could cause this?

Any help would be appreciated... bear in mind I'm not that technical. Wink

Last edited by:

WA: Aug 2, 2005, 6:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [WA] CGI - Just stopped working??! In reply to
Hi,

It sounds more like its being put in your queue file, and just takes a little while to come through.

As you said, if it works one time.. then it should work the rest. One other option, is that your mailing program (i.e sendmail) is crashing for whatever reason, and thus it thinks the email was sent, but in fact it wasn't).

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] CGI - Just stopped working??! In reply to
Thanks Andy.

I always thought it was a problem with sendmail as we'd report the program and the server guy would do his thing (???) and then the mails would start coming through.

Recently though they stopped coming through at all for a few days and we never received them. The guy who runs the server keeps saying our code isn't working but I don't understand how it can appear to work fine one day and not work the next. Is this something that happens with CGI or am I missing something?

Sorry to go on... it's just I'm not getting any helpful advice from the person who looks after the server and I need to get to the bottom of this.
Quote Reply
Re: [WA] CGI - Just stopped working??! In reply to
Hi,

Sounds like its definatly a server problem then. He probably just restarts the Sendmail service, and then it works (as the queue gets "flushed").

Unfortunatly, if your host won't fix it, then there's not a lot any amount of programming can fix, as its a server server issue Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!