Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

SQL Question

Quote Reply
SQL Question
I have a couple of questions pertaining to advice...

I would like to build a plugin for links SQL and I am wondering if I add a database (or table) to the links DB, if it will make the regular usage of that DB any less efficient. I intend on using this table in conjunction with the regular usage (searches, etc..) but it will not be (linked?) to these tables other than through a seperate search routine in the script.

If there is any risk of reducing it's current efficiency, other than strictly by way of the script itself, then I will want to make a seperate DB, and if I must do that, what kinds of consideration must I have. Will I need to develope it seperately from the current script or what...

Beyond that, I have a Berkely style DB (DB_File) that has grown to nearly 40 Megs and I feel I am gonna have to move it to SQL (hence, the above Q's), I am looking for a snippet of perl code that will help me get started...

Sorry for the length... Thanks for the response...

-Scott

Last edited by:

scottward: Feb 8, 2002, 12:19 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [scottward] SQL Question In reply to
Alex and others have posed good information about using multiple databases in the Links SQL Discussion forum. Search for multiple databases in thst forum.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] SQL Question In reply to
Thank you, I will look at that ...

Please, if anyone else has some input, I am still looking for solutions....

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: [scottward] SQL Question In reply to
Hi,

No, there is no performance penalty for putting things in the same database, in fact, under persistent environments like mod_perl, it is better to have things in the same database.

The only time it would be an issue is for a large number of tables (> 1000), when the file system slows down accessing files because of the large number of files in a directory (as with MySQL one database == 1 directory, and 1 table == 3 files in that directory).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.