Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Porting between IIS and Apache

Quote Reply
Porting between IIS and Apache
I have an asp page I was using in IIS that needs to run on an Apache server. This asp page connects to and accesses a Microsoft Access (mdb) database, and builds the web page accordingly.

Now, from what I have read on the web, the Apache server must have some sort of plugin installed, and I need to use Perl as the scripting language (as opposed to VBScript which I am using now).

So, does it sound like I am on the right track, and if so, what would the Perl script look like? The asp page is launched from an html file, with the form information being used to create a sql string for the query.

Thanks for any help. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Sir_Daniel] Porting between IIS and Apache In reply to
How complex is the project? Might be easier to dump access and just use MySQL (assuming you are moving off a windows platform as well -- not sure why you would switch to Apache otherwise).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Porting between IIS and Apache In reply to
My client just wants to be able to grab the mdb file from the web server, modify it easily (hence mdb file with forms for data entry), then post it back to web server. The web space she is using is Unix based. So, she is in a Windows world, but her web server is Unix based.

Apparently, to use MySQL on this web space means she would have to shell out more money per month.

I have the asp file working perfectly within Personal Web Server. I figured there would be some hoops to jump through to make it work in Unix, so I am prepared for whatever I have to do.

Personally, I would rather use MySQL, but I am not the client. Tongue

Essentially, there is an html file which is nothing more than a form with fields on it. User types in city, province, etc. then clicks the submit button. Form information is sent to an asp file which connects to the mdb file, creates a sql string from the form details, queries the databse, then builds a web page from the results.

So it's not too complicated. I just need to learn how to connect to the mdb file, send a sql string, and get the results in Perl.
Quote Reply
Re: [Sir_Daniel] Porting between IIS and Apache In reply to
You might want to take a look at Apache::ASP

The FAQ section is probably the best place to start.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Porting between IIS and Apache In reply to
Not a big deal now. I convinced the client to pay the $5 a month and get a MySQL thing set up. :)