Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

JavaScript: Hovering window

Quote Reply
JavaScript: Hovering window
Hi

Does anyone know of any javascript where I can hover over a link and a description text appears in a window. Ugh, not a window - I need something similar to the IE ALT propertly - where a little banner appears with the text. Does anyone know what I'm on about here? <g>. I guess I need another layer to appear.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
I've seen such scripts at Dynamic Drive.

=> http://www.dynamicdrive.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
Thanks for the reply. I found what I was looking for in the end. It's called a "ballon" effect after the "Ballon Help" system on the Macintosh. For those interested, the URL is at:

http://builder.cnet.com/...ir1.7690-8-6626257-1

- wil
Quote Reply
Try;

<a href='http://www.somepage.com' title='whatever you want as alt'>text here</a>

Not exactly sure what supports it Wink , but IE (after v5 i believe) definatly does Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Jan 29, 2002, 5:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
Hi

Thanks. I've decided to go with the balloon help option (like they have on Apple Macs) as this looks much tidier. It immediately brings up the information. For a look on how I've used it, go to the following URL and roll your mouse over the number "3".

http://www.angleseyromance.com/...fers/map.html;id=83;

PS. Why do you always include lots of Tongue in your messages? :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
PS. Why do you always include lots of in your messages? :-\

Lol...cos I like 'em

TongueCoolAngelicCrazyMad
SmileWinkWinkTongueShockedLaughUnsureUnimpressedSly

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
ONLY works in IE 5.0 and above. Doesn't work at all in Netscape (supposed to work in 6.X, but doesn't) and other browsers, like Opera.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
It works on all versions of Netscape and IE on an Apple Macintosh (I believe, yet to be confirmed) as it takes advantage of the Apple Balloon Help function.

It looks fine on Mozilla, too.

- wil
Quote Reply
Doesn't work on Netscape 4.x (linux version anyways).
You might want to try overlib instead (search google or something).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Should've been more specific...doesn't work in Netscape and earlier versions of IE for PCs. Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
I think that's good enough coverage for my audience. 97% of the dim-wits use IE. :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
I can't resist... (sorry if this starts up another flamewar)

Quote:
97% of the dim-wits use IE

a) you're calling all your clients idiots

and

b) 97% of the world can't be wrong. maybe it's that 3% that doesn't have a clue.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
1. I call everyone who uses IE dim-wits ;-)

2. But does that 97% of the world have a choice? If you're new users signing up with a free AOL cd that comes shiped with Microsoft IE. If you're buying a new computer with any version of Windows that comes shipped wtih IE. Do you really have a choice? Are you really bothered to wait fro a 5 hour download on a 28k modem for a different browser? How would a new user even know that there was mroe than one web browser out there?

- wil
Quote Reply
Try these, there cross browser
This one is nice -
http://javascript.internet.com/messages/overlib.html
and another -
http://javascript.internet.com/...scription-layer.html

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com
Quote Reply
Quote:
1. I call everyone who uses IE dim-wits ;-)
WOW. I hope you don't link to this web site from your professional site then. If I were one of your clients I'd fire you right away if I saw that comment.

Quote:
you're new users signing up with a free AOL cd that comes shiped with Microsoft IE.
You just proved that AOL has no right to claim damages in Microsofts antitrust suits!

Quote:
If you're buying a new computer with any version of Windows that comes shipped wtih IE. Do you really have a choice? Do you really have a choice?
Yes. When I buy a computer I buy each part seperately, so I don't pay for hundreds of useless programs. Sure it comes with IE, but as a developer, I usually keep a copy of Netscape and Opera around somewhere. Anyway, everyone has the right to choose any of the dozens of browsers that exist. It's a users own fault if they choose to be ignorant or lazy and not exercise their right to choose.

Quote:
Are you really bothered to wait fro a 5 hour download on a 28k modem for a different browser?
If I really felt there was a better browser out there I would certainly wait out the time.

Quote:
How would a new user even know that there was mroe than one web browser out there?
In the same way a simple look through there desktop would prove that there are more ISP's than AOL (connection wizard??...), a search at any search engine would prove there are more browsers than IE.

Yes, Regis, that's my final answer ;-)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

King Junko II: Jan 30, 2002, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
WOW. I hope you don't link to this web site from your professional site then. If I were one of your clients I'd fire you right away if I saw that comment.

Clients? I don't work for any clients.

Quote:
You just proved that AOL has no right to claim damages in Microsofts antitrust suits!

That was not a point I was trying to make in this thread. I agree wtih you that they haven't got a leg to stand on. However, I'm glad that another big company are throwing their weight behind it.

Quote:
Yes. When I buy a computer I buy each part seperately, so I don't pay for hundreds of useless programs. Sure it comes with IE, but as a developer, I usually keep a copy of Netscape and Opera around somewhere. Anyway, everyone has the right to choose any of the dozens of browsers that exist. It's a users own fault if they choose to be ignorant or lazy and not exercise their right to choose.

It took me more than 3 months to figure out that Compuserve was not the internet when I first logged on - this was at the time when they were completly seperare, and you couldn't even email outside of the CS network and vice versa. It took me another few months to discover the world wide web, and then a little while longer to discover Netscape after using SpyGlass Mosaic for so long.

Is that what you call lazy? If your new PC comes with Microsoft Office installed. How many of us actually bother to go downloading StarWord or something as an alternative to Word? How many of us go and download another spreadsheet application instead of Excel?

Quote:
Yes, Regis, that's my final answer ;-)

Over and out.

- wil
Quote Reply
so... you work for/with somebody... and they would take offense. guess you missed the point.

so... it's a point I wanted to make

my computers don't come with anything installed. :-) On the other hand, if I had Office, I wouldn't be bothered to try to get other software because I personally think Office is a nice suite of software.

Now look what I did. Frown Sorry Wil, feel free to post all the BS you want but I'm not going to reply to you anymore.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

King Junko II: Jan 31, 2002, 2:13 AM
Quote Reply
Well I wasn't going to post in this thread but I just found something that sums up the thread perfectly....

1) Any fisherman can tell you about trolling -- you cast out your line and slowly drag it along, waiting for some fish to come along and grab the bait and get hooked.
It's a time-honored tradition on Usenet as well, one that newcomers can easily find themselves ensnared in, often to their dismay (and the delight of the allegedly more experienced trollers who catch them).

2) The basic idea behind Usenet trolling is to post a ridiculous message and then sit back and watch as newcomers (and some veterans) try to tear into it. A really simple troll might be to post a message in a Star Trek newsgroup telling participants to get a life, or to post something like "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" in rec.pets.cats. If the troller's lucky, people will rise to his flame bait, sometimes so vehemently that the newsgroup becomes engulfed in a flamewar that completely drowns out all other discussions.

3)Veteran trollers, however, usually display more subtlety than that. Sometimes, they start out with seemingly innocuous postings. Over a period of days, however, their messages grow more strident. And as people begin to argue with them, the game is on. Sometimes, trollers will go after a single person they know will bite hard on the proferred bait (that they know this often indicates that the trollee has, himself, displayed some behavior others might find objectionable).

So what do you do? If you see a message that looks like the sender is just crusin' for a bruisin', first, count to 10. Just because you *can* reply doesn't mean you have to. Remember that the best way to deal with annoying on-line people is to ignore them -- they thrive on making others irate.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 31, 2002, 8:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] JavaScript: Hovering window In reply to
Good advice, Paul. Hopefully you will re-read that again and learn. I've mentioned to you before about your Tolling habits.

- wil
Quote Reply

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 31, 2002, 1:35 PM