Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

DB_File vs mSQL, Copy File?

Quote Reply
DB_File vs mSQL, Copy File?
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with DB_File for PERL and if it is adequate to use for 10,000 to 20,000 records, in comparison to say mSQL or MySQL (which I currently do not have access to).

Questions File Size, Performance, ease of Coding, etc?

Since not having mSQL or MySQL is mainly a monetary thing - should I go ahead and get one of these instead?

Also, what is the PERL code to copy a file from one server/domain to another server/domain like in uploading banners to my server in a CGI script?

------------------
I Truly Appreciate Any Help!

Jaymes H. Sorbel
The ChrisLand Company
www.chrislands.com
info@chrislands.com
"Honor and Integrity is a way of life!"
Quote Reply
Re: DB_File vs mSQL, Copy File? In reply to
SQL's major improvement in these area is simply speed in searching your database, usually SQL databases tend to be a bit bigger than ordinary text files. SQL is also nice for doing what we call relational database techniques, which is basically taking your database and breaking it up into separate elements. There are alot of reasons to do this, but read a tutorial on RDB to get the full idea.

I have never used DB_File, but if it uses a standard DBD Interface, using SQL for searches can be very powerful for a large database. Its by far much easier than reading an entire Database line by line. If you have 10,000+ records though, I would strongly suggest a SQL solution. It may require some short term conversion of both programs and data, but in the long run, if its designed well, you can only prosper.

------------------
Fred Hirsch
Web Consultant & Programmer