Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Mozilla vs IE problem

Quote Reply
Mozilla vs IE problem
I am having a problem with formating on one of my sites. It looks fine in IE of course, but seems to be adding in line feeds all over the place in Mo*illa.

The page in question is http://www.categories.ca

Notice the additional line feeds for all of my black bars as well as between the top level categories and the subcategories when viewed in Mo*illa.

Anyone have any ideas what the difference is that might be causing this? All of my other sites are rendering more or less the same between the two browsers.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Mozilla vs IE problem In reply to
In your effected areas, get rid of all your <p align="right"> or <p align="center"> tags. Instead wrap your text with <div align="whatever"></div> tags.

I've done a quick cleanup that you can play with here to see the results.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Mozilla vs IE problem In reply to
Thanks AAF!

That looks great. So I should avoid the <aligh statements in general.

I also notice that the 'advanced editor' on this forum does not seem to like my mo*illa browser, and gives my the basic instead.... weird.
Quote Reply
The advanced editor is an exploitation of IE functionality.

For the purposes that you were using the paragraph align tag, I would certainly avoid it there (in a small table cell, aligning a word or phrase).
Quote Reply
Vertical alignment of my logo inside the table is something which it does not like either... it seems there are a few differences / probs. I also notice the page bordering/padding is back despite setting it to 0 in my body tag.

Edit: And I thought the advanced editor was just a mac issue, so anyone not using IE can't use the advanced editor? Thats a shame.

Last edited by:

Ian: Sep 7, 2002, 10:04 AM
Quote Reply
Well on your page padding, you're only using the IE tags.

<body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">

You need to use:

<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
Quote Reply
Ahhh, good. Thanks for the quick Mo*illa lesson.
Quote Reply
This is why, in this case, I am in favor of MS crushing all of the competition and making any other browser illegal. It's just such a huge pain in the ass.

Standards, got to luv them!

-Scott
Quote Reply
And what happens to people who don't use Windows or a Mac? "Oh, you use linux, NO WEB BROWSING FOR YOU!"

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Mozilla vs IE problem In reply to
LOL.

MS = MonopolySoft

I am moving from PC to Mac and I am hoping for good things from Chimera.
Quote Reply
....well if my unix/linux hits ever surpase the 10 or 15 Win 3.31 hits I get, I'll think about setting up a machine to check compatibility Tongue

But seriously, is it too much to ask that all web browers present content the same exact way? It's a pipe-dream I realize.

I really don't care what OS people use and never have understood the "my computer is better than your computer" b.s.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
And what happens to people who don't use Windows or a Mac? "Oh, you use linux, NO WEB BROWSING FOR YOU!"

Don't feel bad. I'm on a BSD 4.4 compatible machine and people ignore me anyway. Crazy
I hate discrimination in any form.

I hope that openoffice.org crushes M$

@compatibility
I wish that at least a minimum standard could be agreed upon that comes with a NETWAY seal of approval.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
It may be my imagination, but it does appear that NS7 and IE6 are at least starting to converge in the way they handle and display things. Certainly there are a few lingering proprietary tags (the aforementioned <IFRAME> being a big one) but it looks like we're at least heading in the right direction. Specifically, I'm thinking of some image rollover problems I experienced with NS6 that are no longer an issue with v.7. I admit I haven't done much testing with NS7, so that could be a flawed first impression. Anyone else have more experience and care to comment?

When I first starting learning web design about 9 months ago I somehow missed the warnings about cross-browser compatibility. I learned the hard way when I was about to roll out a major new site (that I had designed with IE6 as my sole reference point) and stumbled upon it in NS4.7 two days before launch... Needless to say, I nearly had a heart attack, and was actually forced to bar NS4.7 users from visiting the site until I could get it fixed.

So while I can absolutely sympathize with the many non-Wintel users who need a usable web browser, I still long for the day when "standards" truly are standard. I'm not sure which is more likely - Mozilla learning something from the supreme usability of IE6 or MS deciding to embrace emerging open-source standards. I'm guessing the former, since the latter is truly a pipe dream...

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund