Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

WinXP - how uninstall webserver?

Quote Reply
WinXP - how uninstall webserver?
Hi All

Does anyone know how to uninstall or disable the webserver running on WinXP?

I guess it might have installed when I installed FrontPage 2002, but I don't remember seeing it.

Win98 was so much easier to use.....

Thanks very much. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] WinXP - how uninstall webserver? In reply to
Try Start > Run > msconfig

Is it listed in the Startup/Service tabs?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] WinXP - how uninstall webserver? In reply to
Thanks, Paul.

Yeah, I've looked in there, but I can't identify anything seemingly suspicious.

What I'm trying to do is install the NuSphere Technology Platform, which installs Perl, MySQL, PHP, and Apache all on my local XP machine so that I can do my web work locally.

http://www.nusphere.com/...ls/free_download.htm

When I go to do install the thing, I get a warning that Port 80 is already being used and to disable or uninstall the existing web server.

I then tried the custom install and changed the Port for Apache to 8080, but that, too, was being used.

So, I guess the bottom line is, "How do I know which ports are being used, and which available ports are safe to point the Apache installation to?"

Thanks very much. Smile

Quote Reply
Mmm..not sure how to fix your problem, but I just wanted to say that I have been using NuSphere pre-install package for ages, and it works great :) I have several development PC's running it, and on this PC i have a couple of copies of LinksSQL, and a PHP LinksDatabase program...it works a charm Smile

Sorry I can't help in your port problem though...my install went fine Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] WinXP - how uninstall webserver? In reply to
I'm glad to hear that it's working great for you, Andy. That makes me feel a bit better. I'm always leary of this kind of thing.

BTW, I think the thing that I'm looking for regarding the Ports is some sort of Port Sniffer. I'm looking at some over at WebAttack:

http://www.webattack.com/...work/fwscanner.shtml

Thanks. Smile

Quote Reply
Mmmm I always go for manual installs. Packages like NuSphere probably can't account for custom setups.

Try Start > Run > command

...then:

netstat -an

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 26, 2002, 10:10 AM
Quote Reply
You can turn it off (not sure about actually removing), by going to Setup->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Find the service for it (can't remember the name), and click on Stop. Then change Startup Type to Manual so it won't start up automatically at boot up.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] WinXP - how uninstall webserver? In reply to
Would it be "WebClient" ?

Yeah, I know it sounds obvious, but here is the description:

"Enable Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available......"

Does that mean that if I turn off "WebClient" that I would no longer be able to surf the web?

This one, "WebClient", sounds the closest so far...nothing else even seems in the ballpark.

BTW, how can you tell which port is being used by which script? The port scanners that I've tried so far can't seem to work when scanning the machine that they are located on.

Thanks. Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Sep 26, 2002, 11:18 AM
Quote Reply
I ran Windows XP Pro for a while and don't remember any web server being installed. Not sure that XP even came with IIS though. I don't have it installed anymore as I've gone to dual-booting Win2k and .NET Server Standard RC1.

I believe the WebClient is related to the Remote Desktop feature.

If you can type your IP address (or localhost or 127.0.0.1) into a browser and pull up some web page then that's one way to verify you really have a server running. another is try pinging your IP on that particular port and see what comes up.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] WinXP - how uninstall webserver? In reply to
Thanks, Andrew

I did just as you mentioned, but no page was pulled up. However, I still get the message that the port is used. I'll come up with some more port numbers and see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's help Smile