Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Select priority stmt?

Quote Reply
Select priority stmt?
Atten SQL query masters:

Hello, I have a table of events, the table has an id field, a date field, a name field and a priority field.
My goal is to get the next four events based on the date, however if there is an event in the table that has a high priority I would like to display that one even tho there are events that have an earlier date.
in other words if I have four unimportant events this week , and one incredibly important event a month from now. I would like to SELECT the first 3 events from this week and the incredibly important event as the 4th? How would i use an event's priority field to bump events that come before it but still remain in chronological order with the other 3 events?

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: [jrdn] Select priority stmt? In reply to
I would highly recommend adding another attribute/column called PRIORITY (INT - 1/0 values).

Then you could use ORDER BY function to place the PRIORITY event at the top of your events, and then order the rest.

Example:

SELECT T.*
FROM TABLE T
ORDER BY T.Priority DESC, T.AddDate DESC
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jan 1, 2003, 8:45 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Select priority stmt? In reply to
the problem with sorting by priority first and then sorting by date is that the resulting set of records will not be ordered chronologically.
I want the results to be chronoligically ordered.
To restate problem:
TABLE (id, date, priority):
1, 01/02, not importent
2, 01/03, not importent
3, 01/04, not importent
4, 01/05, Importent

GOAL: Select ids from the next three events in chronological order, including Important events.
I want this select stmt to return ids: 1,2,4
(if you sort by priority first you get: 4,1,2)

To summarize, I want to reserve that last spot in my results to be filled with a High priority as long as one exists and is not already in the resulting set. Otherwise the last spot gets filled with the next non important event.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [jrdn] Select priority stmt? In reply to
I think this can be done in 2 steps.
1) Select the max 3 items within this week, where it has 'not importent'
2) Select the max 1 items within 1 month, where is has 'Importent'

Then merge the results. IMPO.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...