Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Win XP and accessing local Linux box

Quote Reply
Win XP and accessing local Linux box
Hi All

I just got an XP box from Dell, and it's really nice. Much better than the old Win98/Celeron thing I had been using.

I also still use a linux box on my desktop to help develop my sites and other stuff.

With the old machine (Win98), I had no trouble working with the Linux box using a crossover cable. I could call web pages, FTP in okay, use telnet...everything.

However, I can't for the life of me see how the XP box is supposed to work with the Linux box. I tried the Network wizard, but that in part depends on having the network wizard in the remote box, too.

Would anyone have any tips on getting my XP machine to work with my local Linux server?

Many, many thanks!

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Win XP and accessing local Linux box In reply to
Okay, I plugged in the crossover cable, and I get an error:

"Dogtags is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have acess permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I know that there is some kind of connection and data transmission because when I check the Status of the connection, it shows data going back and forth.

I just can't view anything in a browser or connect with Telnet or FTP.

Any help would be most appreciated. Smile

Quote Reply
I've resolved this issue before - please contact me for more information!
Quote Reply
Re: [blazecomm] Win XP and accessing local Linux box In reply to
Can you post it for other interested users?
Quote Reply
Hi blazecomm

Yes, it would be great if you could post how you did it. It's wringing my shorts out big time Smile

Was it a big pain?

Did it mess up anything?

Many thanks, blazecomm ! Smile

Quote Reply
Hey DogTags

Is the Linux box or the Windows box the primary machine? Would't it just be a case of installing SAMBA on the Linux box, making it the PDC and then set your Windows box to access the workgroup domain specified in SAMBA?

We use this in the office and it works fine.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Win XP and accessing local Linux box In reply to
Hi Wil

I use the desktop Win box as my primary machine, but the Linux box serves the web pages.

From the WinXP machine, I access the web, email, etc. I only use the Linux box for web development.

I have Samba on the Lin box, but for some reason I can't ping the linux box from the WinXP box. It could be that my version of samba is too old for XP, but I'm not sure how to upgrade the old samba, and I don't want to wreck what I have working with my old Win98 machine.

One thing that is odd is that when I boot the Win98 machine, it automatically tries to access the Linux box. I don't have to go into Network Neighborhood and access it that way.

I hope I've answered your question. Thanks for your help. Smile

Quote Reply
Can't ping the machine? Ack! Sounds like a serious problem with your network. How are both machines connected?

- wil
Quote Reply
on the xp system, click start, run, type in command, click ok, type IPCONFIG /ALL, what does it say next to Node Type?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Win XP and accessing local Linux box In reply to
on the xp system, click start, run, type in command, click ok, type IPCONFIG /ALL, what does it say next to Node Type?
Quote Reply
Hmm why did you post the same thing to both of us?
Quote Reply
Hi blazecomm

Here we go:

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Are we any closer?

Thanks for your help. Smile

Quote Reply
Hey DogTags,

I got SAMBA up and running on my linux box last night. I got the same message as you but I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. I was thinking that it was a userid/password problem. The ID's and password on the linux box needs to match the XP box. I know my passwords are different on the two boxes but I didn't feel like messing with it last night.

I'm not sure why you can't ping your linux box though. Can you post all the details from ipconfig /all? Did you assign the IP's manually or are you DHCP'ing from a router or some other DHCP server?

~CP
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Win XP and accessing local Linux box In reply to
Hi Chaz

I did the ipconfig /all thing and got a bunch of info.

However, should I post all that stuff? Are there any security risks?

I'd rather post just the fields that are needed if possible.

As far as assigning IPs, I haven't even gotten that far. I have found a few screens for entering IP info, but I'm still struggling with what section does what.

I'm trying not to mess up my current machine cuz it's all I got. I don't know what turns things on or off or what is vital and what is not.

Thanks for your help. Smile

Quote Reply
Hey DogTa,

Don't post any IP info yet, I'm not sure that we need it to solve the problem. After a minor video card setback I had a chance to dig into it a little deeper. The user ID's and password now match and that did solve part of my problem. I can connect to the windows PC from the Redhat PC but I can't go the other way round. Another problem that I encountered which might help you is that in windows 98 passwords were sent over in plain text and with 2K and XP the passwords are encrypted. Check your smb.conf file on the linux PC for a line that looks like this: encrypt passwords = yes and make sure that line is set to yes instead of no. Also look for a line like: workgroup = WORKGROUP and make sure that the WORKGROUP name matches that of the XP box. Give those a try and let me know if that works.

Regards,
Charlie