Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

What Antivirus and Firewall

Quote Reply
What Antivirus and Firewall
Hi,

Just curious as to what antivirus and Firewall software people use ?

I'm using NOD32 and Sygate Personal Firewall (the free version). I find NOD32 bogs down my computer far less than Norton for example...

Anybody care to share their experiences ?

Thanks

John

PS I also have a Firewall Router (hardware) running...
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] What Antivirus and Firewall In reply to
Trend Micro PC-Cillin or Internet Security

Trend seems to have virus updates available hours (and in some cases, days) before Norton and MacAffee do.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
I ended up going with Avast![1] AV for my PCs and a separate box running Clark Connect[2] for my firewall. I try not to bog down my PC with stuff that can be done on an external device. Other firewalls that I looked at include m0n0wall[3] and SoothWall[4] which also seemed very good.

~Charlie

[1] http://www.avast.com/
[2] http://www.clarkconnect.com/
[3] http://m0n0.ch/wall/
[4] http://smoothwall.org/

Last edited by:

Chaz: Nov 4, 2005, 9:24 PM
Quote Reply
I've used the XP built-in firewall for a while but Sygate is one of the best. I use AntiVir antivirus which is also really nice (and free!)

http://www.free-av.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Hargreaves] What Antivirus and Firewall In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for your answers. As I was saying I have a VPN/Firewall with NAS capacity but it does then feel to me important to have a firewall on each computer in order to stop certain programs from reaching out to their producers without my consent Wink.

The main issue for me is the amount of processing time used up by them. I have GT's hosting system that has blocked all viruses so far and don't really get many files through any other way than email. I haven't been able to find so far though a review that evaluates the impact that either Firewall software or anti-virus software has on the computer. I have been trying NOD32 since I read an article they published about how long it took it to scan files compared to others but not from independent sources...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Suggesting:
  • Norton Antivirus - as antivirus
  • ZoneAlarm - as firewall

Both proved for me.
    ZoneAlarm has sometimes setup problems, but still the easiest one to use.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] What Antivirus and Firewall In reply to
    Hi,

I used to use Norton Antivirus and it's true that it never really missed anything but I did get a virus that had slipped through the person that forwarded it to me and he was using Norton (and was checking for outgoing viruses) but my NOD32 picked it up. I must say, to be fair, that I had extra settings on my NOD32 to check for things it thought looked like a virus, maybe the difference that enabled it to pick it up this way...

One of my best friends uses ZoneAlarm but I'm pretty happy with Sygate

John
    Significant Media
    Quote Reply
    Ah, one more thing.

I also use SpamPal, which does pretty good job in catching spams. And it's free.
    Using Bayesian & Regexp plugin for SpamPal, to get more precise spam results.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
    Quote Reply
    Well I've had to switch to Zone Alarm Firewall because Sygate has been bought out by Symantec and they had this impressively awful message saying Sygate firewall products are discontinued go to symantec for an upgrade to a Norton firewall. Who ever came up with the idea of presenting it this way has most probably annoyed a fair few sygate users at a guess :

Quote:
    Important Notice: Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate consumer firewall products will be discontinued. (...)
    If your Sygate Personal Firewall product is due for renewal, please visit Symantec's online store for special upgrade pricing on Norton products.

source :
    http://www.sygate.com/...nal-firewall-pro.htm

Not that diplomacy is any good when you tell someone they have to change their computer configuration because Mr Sygate is now a lot richer !

I don't know Unsure

John
    Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Jan 2, 2006, 4:24 PM
    Quote Reply
    I never liked that Big fish, small fish thing...
    However if someone would tell me, that they pay me a few million dollars for my website or my software, likely I would not think too much either, on the question if I want to sell it or not... Wink Angelic

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Yes well the substance of my message was not the big fish small fish thing but more of how to look after clients and make sure that they are treated correctly. So I hope that you will negotiate for your clients to be treated nicely by the takeover company if you do sell your website Wink

John
    Significant Media
    Quote Reply
    Quote:
    So I hope that you will negotiate for your clients to be treated nicely by the takeover company if you do sell your website
    If that will ever happen Wink to get a few millions for my site Cool, I will take care of my old clients, of course. Confidence is important. And you have the clients, because they trusted you. So you shouldn't betray them.
    That's basic thing IMHO.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    I quite liked Sygate too, found the others too intrusive. You can still grab a copy from the old mirrors:

http://www.simtel.com/...mirrors.php?id=53687

Won't be developed any more, but still does it's job really well without trying to take over your computer. =)

Cheers,

Alex
    --
    Gossamer Threads Inc.
    Quote Reply
    On Windows, I use Winpooch and ClamWin, as well as a hardware firewall.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Alex] What Antivirus and Firewall In reply to
    I'm just using Mac OS X Cool
    Max
    The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
    Quote Reply
    Highly recommended - AVG Anti-Virus and it's FREE! Cool