Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

MSIE Toolbar

Quote Reply
MSIE Toolbar
Me MSIE toolbar / top menu / address location bar has vanished without a trace, and I'm unable to restore (via MSIE). I suspect Windows registry problem. Has anyone had this problem, and know a fix. Luckily I have Netscape installed.

Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
Have you ticked everything in View > Toolbars ?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
There's an idea. Except no menu. No toolbar. Nothing at top. Tried reinstalling MSIE, but it hangs. Looks like no more MSIE on this computer. I'll have to get used to Netscape. Thanks anyways.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
From an Explorer (files, etc.), put in a web address instead of a file location in the address bar. Explorer should turn itself into Internet Explorer and maybe that'll fix things. You could also play around in the registry.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
Thanks. But earlier I was finally able to uninstall MSIE 6 back to 5.5. Works now. I have then tried to upgrade back to 6 via MS, but that has been a nightmarish hell. As soon as I try to install MSIE 6 (custom install of just the browser alone), CPU usage jumps from 3% to 100% instantly. The install then hangs at 97% completion. After a half dozen attempts and equal number of system crashes / restarts, I've given up. It appears I'm stuck with 5.5 until I find a fix. At least I have MSIE in some form as it is my preferred browser.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hehe I didn't realise you meant the whole lot had dissapeared Wink ....that must have looked a bit bizarre.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 26, 2002, 2:47 AM
Quote Reply
Not to be a smart alec or anything, but you weren't by any chance in "full screen" mode were you?
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
Nope, but good response as newbies out there may be confused by that. Thanks.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
Bizarre to say the least. And it happened spontaneously, in the blink of an eye. But even more bizarre that just clicking on the install MSIE 6 button, immediately (within another blink of the eye) pushed cpu load to 100%. I seem to be stuck with 5.5.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Quote:
I seem to be stuck with 5.5.

That's a good thing. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MSIE Toolbar In reply to
Quote:
Not to be a smart alec

Perhaps we should change that to smart "Alex" - ha ha!

Quote:
The install then hangs at 97% completion.

A common file corruption in Windows is one called "setupx.dll" or setupex or something. What happens is that this file gets corrupted when a setup or installation of software fails (sometimes it gets corrput even when the installation succeeds). This will cause future installation attempts to get whacky.

In Win98 you can check for this by going to the following tool:

Click Start and then choose
Accessories --> System Tools --> System Information

From there choose
Tools --> System File Checker
and "scan for altered files"

Symmantec software (winfax, etc) and Word Perfect Office 2000 seem to be the biggest culprits. However I've had Microsoft Office 2000 crap out in mid installation several times as well.

Good Luck! Hope someone finds this useful.
Quote Reply
Update: fixed - was able to upgrade back to MSIE 6. Had to delete zero-byte windows/inf/oem*.inf files. That's it :)

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
start -> run -> iexplore -k http://www.yahoo.com

no window, no menu options. nice for some sites, but very annoying when you can't remenber the keystrokes to do stuff.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator