Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

dual monitor video cards

Quote Reply
dual monitor video cards
I've been considering buying a second monitor and upgrading my video card in the process. I'm looking to spend $150 at the most for the card, and at this time I've been considering a few different Radeon's which fall under $100. Anyone have experience with dual monitor video cards? What would you recommend? How about a 19" flatscreen for under $300?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] dual monitor video cards In reply to
I've been looking at flat screen monitors (19" and 21")...the average price I've seen is $330.00 (US) + tax...you'll probably have to wait a couple more months for the prices to go down.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] dual monitor video cards In reply to
I think a sony monitor is $300 inc. VAT - 19"

...or was that £'s...hmmmm
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] dual monitor video cards In reply to
at work we have a KDS 19" for around $275 but it doesn't have a flat screen, and that's the only reason I didn't go ahead and buy it.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] dual monitor video cards In reply to
Well, Paul, after looking at many vendors, I've found the "average" price (not ultimate lower price) to be as I stated above. I've seen a range of $315 - $360.00 (US). And those "higher quality" monitors, too.

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Jan 1, 2002, 12:56 PM
Quote Reply
Well, when it comes to dual monitors, you don't have too much of a selection for $150 as most video cards nowadays only do TV-out, not dual monitors.
Here's some prices (in CDN $):
ATI Radeon 7500 VE 64MB DDR AGP4x, DVi/DB15 Dual display, Video-out (OEM/retail) $245/290
Matrox G-550 32MB DDR AGP4X (Dual head) (OEM/Retail) $150/175
ASUS AGP-V7100 GEFORCE2 MX 32MB 2V1D VGA+VGA/DVI $171.36
ATI RADEON VE DUAL DISPLAY (VGA & DVI) 32MB AGP $138.99

One thing you might want to check out is that with some video cards, the 2nd output cannot display the same resolutions as the main output.

For $300, you can get a lower end 19" flatscreen crt, or a higher end 17" flatscreen crt (lower end = lower max res at lower refresh).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] dual monitor video cards In reply to
I brought mysefla a 19" LG Flatron for £150. But that is a flat screen, not a flat panel screen as some of you are talking about?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] dual monitor video cards In reply to
Yes, I'm talking about a flat screen, not flat panel. I figured sooner or later someone might get those mixed up.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
and that's a darn good monitor too! :-)

- wil