Home : General : Chit Chat :

AOL looking for Pittman replacement

Quote Reply
AOL looking for Pittman replacement
http://story.news.yahoo.com/...dia_aol_pittman_dc_3

It's about time!Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
He probably won't be too bothered when he gets a big fat wedge of cash.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
I hear you on that one.

He will surely get a few million and a severence package that will keep him going into the next century for making an even bigger joke of the already humorous AOL.
Quote Reply
AOL still won't change either... it will be the same garbage regardless.

But I bet he does not care. He should buy a copy of Links and go into competitionWink

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
It has been and always will be known as AOhell!
Quote Reply
LOL, they have been marketing AOL severely here in Canada. I get their stuff in the mail every couple of months, ads on the radio etc. And I have never been a customer.

I guess this is a case where you don't need to try them out, to pass fair comment.

Its like its fair to say a car with no reverse gear and three wheels is a lemon, when you have not gone for a ride in it.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
>>It has been and always will be known as AOhell! <<

Its not so bad in the UK we started using the Internet about 4-5 years ago...my dad has been using AOL since then.
Quote Reply
I think in North Amercia there is so much on offer, that for the price they are really not an option. I am sure they may be ok or good in the UK.

I don't know of anyone who uses it here??? Somone must.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yes...they are everywhere. Like a sexually transmitted desease! LOL

AOL does direct mailers here in the US about once per month to virtually every household that has a telephone and is not an AOL user. I have found some creative uses for their disks that they send to "resident". Like hanging them in a fruit tree to scare away birds. LOLWink
Quote Reply
Quote:
I have found some creative uses for their disks that they send to "resident".
LOL. I would like them a lot more if those CD's they sent out were re-writableWink

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
>>I am sure they may be ok or good in the UK. <<

They are a flat fee of £15 ($23) per month....we've never really needed to contact them for support....speed is about normal for 56k modem.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 18, 2002, 12:01 PM
Quote Reply
That is for sure...And people might actually stick them in a computer then!

LOL
Quote Reply
I just counted mine, 20 AOL cd's + 3 Juno cd's. Every so often I take a bunch out to the range with me and use them for target practice, and then start collecting them all over again. Tongue

While more 'sophisticated' Internet users like ourselves can and do happily bash AOL, their service does allow a lot of unsophisticated users to get online. And with their sheer numbers, you cannot afford to ignore that customer base.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
And with their sheer numbers, you cannot afford to ignore that customer base.

And the shear dump truck full of spam email and complete inundation with ads that you get FREE with an AOL account! LOLWink
Quote Reply
>>their service does allow a lot of unsophisticated users to get online<<

Are you calling my dad unsophisticated?
Quote Reply
Yes, I'm throwing your dad into that general category.

Actually I'm not Cool, what I did say is that it allows a lot of unsophisticated users to get online. I did not say that all AOL users are unsophisticated.

Perhaps I should switch "unsophisticated" with "not computer savvy". There are plenty of brilliant people who can't program their VCR or cross a busy street, let alone get onto the net without having their hands held.

I have friends that I've successfully seperated from AOLHell and others that are just better off with it. Tongue
Quote Reply
I'm only joking, I have a wicked (sarcastic) sense of humor :)
Quote Reply
AOL is a good place to begin with for newbies. My parents love it and certainly fall into the category of unsophisticated, but that's okay. When I was without a phone, or cable tv for that matter due to the fact that I was DIRT POOR - we chatted via email (I was connected at work) more than I've ever talked with my parents before.

Even in the early days (version 2x) I was amazed at all of the hackers that wrote chat room busting software and could disconnect you, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
dunno if anybody still USE dialup, this is the coming of the digital age, i changed to DSL like 3 yrs ago, but anyway, too bad broadbad companies fail and fall, and at end whole bunch = chapter 11 = driven DSL competitions down = price up = less ppl signup! Recall my last DSL provider increased my rate this yr, afterward i switched LOL! BUT in topic, AOL = sux, Peace =P
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
Uh...there are quite a few people in the US who still use dialup connections, especially in rural areas...although with the merger of DirectTV and Dish Network, satellite connection will soon be an affordable reality for rural inhabitants (with a high enough disposable income)...wireless is also competiting in the non-dialup space and in rural communities. In fact, there is a small mountain community near my cabin that is offering radio/wireless internet connection.

In addition, there are not enough CO (central offices) to offer DSL...cable is the better solution and more widely available in urban and suburb areas.

But the fact of the matter, there is still a large percentage of Internet users who do use dialup connections.

BTW: Has anyone read up on Amazon's Web Service offerings? I received a newsletter from Amazon, but I have not read it yet or looked at the Amazon web site.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
ewww.. I sure hope you don't think $23 per month is money well spent on internet services!!! especially when many isp's offer unlimited usage for less than half that, even FREE like Juno, which I keep around as a backup ISP.

I can't believe so many morons will continue to use AOL despite its ever increasing "low flat fee", and lack of benefit over local dialup and cable/dsl providers.

I use Adelphia PowerLink here in southwest Virginia for $30/mo., and I see download speeds of over 3Mbit/s all the time. My dad in a neighboring town pays $45 for Charter Pipeline with a capped 384 down/128 up connection. I feel sorry for him as that's the only "broadband" available there.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] AOL looking for Pittman replacement In reply to
>>
ewww.. I sure hope you don't think $23 per month is money well spent on internet services!!!
<<

We are talking about the UK here....we aren't as advanced as the US in terms of Internet services so $23 is fairly good. Pretty much all ISP's that have offered free services have collpased.
Quote Reply
DSL & Cable in the U.S. pretty much run about $40 a month. I'm sure you can find cheaper rates (like the free WinFire DSL - ha ha ha ha ha ha - can anyone say "OUT OF BUSINESS!") but you get what you pay for. I personally cannot justify shelling out the bucks for internet connection at home, but I don't do near the amount of html & web stuff as I used to do, nor do I game online (my friends are addicted to Quake and therefore need the connection). I use AOL at home, but subscribe to the 3 hours a month plan that costs $4.95 and almost never go over that amount. The free services such as Earthlink and others that force you to use their "tool bar" also track your browsing habits (read the fine print if you don't believe me) and whore out your personal information to anyone & everyone. <shudder>