Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

.biz goes live to the world!

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
.biz goes live to the world!
It seems that we have now got the .BIZ tld to register our domains in too! ugh.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] .biz goes live to the world! In reply to
pointless naming convention ... but it makes money for those that registration fees go to.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] .biz goes live to the world! In reply to
Well they had to do something. .com are running out, it's only common sense that they bring out new extensions.
Quote Reply
I have to agree with Qooq. I am no native English speaker, but .biz has a negative connotiation for me, sounds like "warez", rip-off, making a quick buck, it's not inspiring confidence. Just my personal opinion. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] .biz goes live to the world! In reply to
To me .biz is short for business Crazy

.business or .bus would be silly.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] .biz goes live to the world! In reply to
I agree for the simple dictionary based names. But if you're creative .com's are still available.

But why go with .biz unless you're in the show biz?

Oh well. Now you gotta register .com, .org, .net, .biz just to make sure no one takes advantage of your name.

Crazy

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Don't forget .info...
Quote Reply
Hmm if you want to make some money just create a .sex extension :)
Quote Reply
Re: .biz goes live to the world! In reply to
Technicaly, it does make available a host of new domains to register.

On a more practical note; it doesn't. When you think about all the copyright issues and what not, all domain names that belong to registered companies the .COM tld will be able to buy their .BIZ equivalent. And if someone else buys it instead of them, then they just take them to court and claim back their rightful name.

So realisticaly speaking, the new .BIZ tld does not create any new domains for use. All the good ones, computers.com, internet.com gossamer-threads.com are all registered. If someone tried to register internet.biz or microsoft.biz I'm sure they would have a nice lawsuit on their hands.

It's just a way, as you satated, of making more money for the registars. It's absolutely pointless launching this one without launching the other alternatvies (.shop etc). Because everyone will just jump to buy their .BIZ domain even if they're not a business, just like everyone did in the boom days of .COM.

Whoever was behind introducing cheap domain names to the net, was an absolute idiot, IMO. They should have had much stricted regulations in place from the beginning. Remember the days where you had to prove you were a registered charity or an organasation to register .org? Or you had to be a network service provider to register .net.

IMO, they should cancel all domain names and start from scratch, and set the price tag of a domain name around £1000. That should deter the casuals to register their domains. And throw everyone else back onto Geocities.

Ah, that would be just internet heaven.

- wil
Quote Reply
I've read about a plugin that allows you to use such extensions as .sex, .family, .home etc., pretty useless... Smile

There are still a lot of nice .com domains to be found, the only problem are cyber-squatters. I think more than 80 or 90% of all registered TLDs are not being used.

Quote Reply
....and .pro .name .aero .museum .
Quote Reply
Hey wheres that plugin lol

Im still trying to work out how to use different protocols. eg...typing the following into your browser works if you have AIM:

aim:goim?ScreenName=PaulWilson18

I've seen re-write rules that should work the same way but IE just gives the "Syntax Error" page.

Quote Reply
Paul, I've just found this one:

http://www.dotsex.com (no obscene content!)

There's more scumware like this, if I find it, I'll post it.
Quote Reply
That plugin is loaded with the full install of Kazaa (I believe you already have).

When will the other new TLDs come into effect?

The interesting thing about these BIZ domains.... have you tried a url that doesn't exist:

http://www.everyonelovesyouwil.biz

Look at the error message you get. It seems that there's only one DNS server for these BIZ domains on the whole web?

- wil
Quote Reply
Why have you got a period in your name, Thomas?

- wil
Quote Reply
Because "Thomas" without period has already been taken by another forum member... Wink
Quote Reply
Aha. Just something that's been puzzling me for a while :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Haha screw that for $59/yr

Who's da biggest fool here....ME....why?....I just registered 2 .biz names by accident.
Quote Reply
Huh? By Accident? Your arm suddenly having a mind of it's own?

- wil
Quote Reply
Same happened to me, Paul. I pre-registered a few .info domains I really don't need any longer. Forgot about them, now I own them.

Here are the other domain extensions I mentioned:

http://www.ss-domains.com/tldnew.shtml

SS-Domains, sounds really nice... Unsure
Quote Reply
Quote:
Huh? By Accident? Your arm suddenly having a mind of it's own?

I re-sell domain names and my credit card is pre-registered. I believed I was doing a search for available domains but they got registered instead :(

Luckily one was rejected otherwise it would have cost me $48 but it was only $24 thankfully :)

I now own girlboy.biz woohoo lol

Thomas:

Some cool extensions there.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 6:28 AM
Quote Reply
haha! What on earth are you doing boy?

Lucky you didn't register microsoft.biz or the big boys would be knocking on your door!

- wil
Quote Reply
Is that available?

That would be quite cool to get an email from them. I'd put up a fight and get on the news..hehe.

gossamer-threads.biz is :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 7:06 AM
Quote Reply
Im sorry but that sucks. These companies need to get their act together and get some standardized pricing going on.

Register.com is charging $63 for a 2yr registration of .biz domains. I can register them for $24 Mad
Quote Reply
It's all a joke.

- wil
> >