Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Ho Hum... Another Virus

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Ho Hum... Another Virus
FYI.

Another virus is making the rounds, it's basically yet another "e-mails itself to everyone in your microsoft outlook address book" virus. If you're naive enough to click on that fab new screen saver someone e-mails you, then you probably deserve what you get...

I wonder if anyone has thought of any kind of class-action lawsuit against M$. However, to be fair, I'm sure that if (my favorite) StarOffice was the more popular office suite there'd probably be just as many exploitations aimed at it.

Anyhoo, Norton Virus definitions (rel 11-28-01) won't catch it, so don't open any attachments with (.scr) extensions. (as if you ever should)

http://www.symantec.com/.../w32.goner.a@mm.html

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
to quote Paul from a totally different thread with no relevance to this one ...

"forget that crap"

Isn't there any other type of email software available for M$ ???? Crazy

I guess if you use something without thinking how it affects your work enviornment it will eventually make you think about it for you.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Try Eudora email client. Not bad. A bit of a resource hog, but more reliable that OE, and not subject to all the attacks, as far as I know.

Also, I use McAfee VirusScan, and it seems to snag more viruses than does Norton.

Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
woooo weird almost instantaneous postings ... hmmm dogtags you following me around the net?

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
I use foxmail.
The new one is really good. Although its in chinese, if you delete the chinese template, you should be good. foxmail.com.cn
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Personally I use "thinmailer" (no offense to GT) and read my e-mails on my website. If you want to send me an attachment then I'll download it with Eudora.

BTW, Eudora will let you save attachments in any directory (folder) you want, while Outlook only lets you save attachments in 'outlook folders'.

I don't have anything personal against Microsoft, I just think the people who write their programs have never actually had to use them in a business environment.

It reminds me of that episode of 'The Simpsons' where Homer got to design a car.Wink

PS: Today must be Walt Disney's birthday or something because on KUT (kut.org) the guy is playing all of these Disney songs (Whistle why you work, etc) and the Fed-X guy gave me a really weird look until I explained. Check out Kut.org and click on "Listen" if you have a sound card. The program is called Eklectikos and this guy plays some pretty bizzare stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote:

BTW, Eudora will let you save attachments in any directory (folder) you want, while Outlook only lets you save attachments in 'outlook folders'.

You're incorrect. Outlook and Outlook Express allow you to save attachments in any directory you want.

Quote:

I don't have anything personal against Microsoft, I just think the people who write their programs have never actually had to use them in a business environment.

M$ typically uses their customers as "beta testers". There are labs out there that test M$ before the product is released on the market, but M$ rarely changes their products based on bugs found by these labs. An article came out a few months ago about a lab that tested M$ SQL Server 2000 product and found it to be faulty in NT systems, only worked efficiently in Windows 2000 networks. But M$ released SQL Server 2000 and stated that it would work just fine in NT networks.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Ah, I guess I should have said that their "rules" will only let you save attachments in 'outlook folders'...

If I'm wrong let me know...

We get data from our dbman emailed to us upon submission as csv files and then I have a Eudora rule that prints a cover sheet, send e-mail notification that a new job is in, and saves the attachment into our software data directory so we don't have to hand enter or import anything. Everyone thinks I'm 'productive' but they don't really know I'm just lazy.Wink

Quote Reply
You're wrong. Wink You can save attachments in any folder (non-"Outlook" folders/directories as well).
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Thanks... I'll double check the rules wizard (I could have sworn my choices were limited to like "inbox" "sent items" etc.)

My bad. Tongue
Quote Reply
Nope...check again. If you click on the attachment, a window should pop-up allowing to you to save it to any folder. Also, there is a setting that allows you to set up a "default" attachment folder where you can by default save your attachments.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Quote:
PS: Today must be Walt Disney's birthday or something because on KUT (kut.org) the guy is playing all of these Disney songs (Whistle why you work, etc) and the Fed-X guy gave me a really weird look until I explained. Check out Kut.org and click on "Listen" if you have a sound card. The program is called Eklectikos and this guy plays some pretty bizzare stuff.

Okay... now he's playing excerpts from "Winnie the Pooh" ?!?!?!?!

Quote Reply
100th Anniversary of Disney...

Check out http://disney.go.com/
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 5, 2001, 11:05 AM
Quote Reply
Re: Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Why isn't the 5th a national holiday yet?

Quote Reply
What's so special about the 5th?

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 5, 2001, 2:20 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
take the quiz at disney insider the link is above. Angelic

Quote Reply
I don't see the quiz.
Quote Reply
had to dig for it --- there's a link at the bottom of the main page called insider. then it goes to another page ... actually all you'll find out is that if W.Disney were still alive he'd be 100 on the 5th it's already the 6th for me.

speaking of which --
quiz how old was disney when he created "the" Mickey?

bonus question --
what was Mickey's original name?

-- double bonus --
what was the first sound enhanced movie?

final bonus question --
who is most famous person ever to live?

hahaha --- looney tunes question?
who's buried in Grant's grave?

Quote Reply
Damn, I bet he died trying to find the quiz lol
Quote Reply
agreed.

actually I was a little disappointed with disney's site design --- I expected something a little more.

Quote Reply
I've noticed recently that a _lot_ of big sites are using Flash.
Quote Reply
yep people trying to get people to stay at their sites with flashy graphics.

Could also be that technology now is catching up and companies look to good design to help them with their sites.

I still prefer ease of use and content though.

Quote Reply
Yes...and the problem with many flash-driven sites is the loss of "accessibility". Look at http://www.home.com for instance. Nice and "flashy", but no alternative text attributes for the images.

If a visually impaired individual uses a screen or audio reader (like Jaws), then all they will see is:
and all they will hear will be:

Image, Image, Image, Image

With the advent of [url]http://www.section508.gov/[/url] (Section 508), it is amazing how many company, organizational, governmental, etc. web sites are non-compliant.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
nice point!

Quote Reply
But that's a huge design fault of flash technology. I'm sure Macromedia realise this and hopefully will implement an equivalent of ALT into Flash animations.

- wil
> >