Quite possibly the scariest thing....

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
So you are for or against testing?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
Why would you need to test a nuclear weopon anyways (sorry I dont know). Don't they know if they work yet?Crazy

I know a corel atoll in the pacific ocean off australia is no longer, thanks to a French nuclear 'test'. The bomb went off and destroyed a lot of things, so I guess it was a successful test.

ArmyAirForces: Yep, the dog is Jerry. My 3 yr old Shep. He is american actually from kansas.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Aug 7, 2002, 12:50 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
They like to test 'um mostly to show off. IMO

If China never tested, US would not respect them.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
I can say that I'm firmly against friends of Saddam testing one on my house.

Are you asking about above ground testing? While pretty, it's a bit bad for you to stand next to. Since there hasn't been an above ground test since 1963 those tests aren't relevant and I suspect the next above ground blast will not be of a testing nature.

The US and Russia have kept to the Test Ban Treaty of 1996, but China, Pakistan, and India obviously aren't parties to it. England, another nuclear family member, hasn't tested since I don't know when but as a NATO member they're party to the treaty. The French...are the French...but I think got fairly well pasted by public opinion for their test. But I know they're big fans of Greenpeace. Tongue

There has been some talk in recent years of doing some limited US testing. It's good for stockpile verification purposes...and I suspect they want to test out some bunker buster applications.
Quote Reply
I've seen two strikes close up (a couple of feet away). The whole world goes red when that a happens. I've seen one strike from a hilltop hit the ground a couple of miles and since it was a night the whole sky turned to a green glow. It was really cool.
Quote Reply
Nothing like a bowlful of "Creamed by a Mushroom" soup to keep some people in line Wink Hmmm, good. Hmmm, good... Smile

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Bunker buster? I wonder who that will apply to? Angelic
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
Well the obvious answer would be Iraq, but in fact many of the world's militaries have gone to great lengths to go underground.

From protected sub pens in Russia (a former enemy), to weapons labs, command and controll complexes, and munitions storage in places like North Korea, China, Iran, and Iraq. And if they aren't digging in other places...they will be.

It makes sense to have a capability within the inventory to deal with them, should the unfortunate need to use them arrive.

-Scott
Quote Reply
@hiroshima / nagashima

I visited Hiroshima's memorial. Those images will remain with me for the rest of my life. I think it's BS that America won't show any part of the exhibit in the States. The one in Hiroshima was very neutral and let the images and artifacts speak for itself.

@ corn on pizza
hmmm ... Try mayonaise and corn ... sorry I only order the one's labeled "American style" Tongue

@sub pens
There is one supposededly connecting San Fransico Harbor to somewhere in-land. Let's not forget all the hidden sites along the Californian coast line. I saw a rocket lanuch that made the news while in High School. They mentioned Anderson's Base. My friend on leave at time said the tragetory was more like a sub launch.

@ lightening

My mother's friend got nailed while chatting on the phone. It burned a hole through her tongue.

I was watching a show on TV where a chap was hit 3 times. He got knocked real hard and was hospitalized. Poor guy is now totally paranoid of thunder storms. This was somewhere in the mid-west I think and not too long ago.

lightening is cool sh_t. Just hope you got yourself good lightening rod protectors on your house Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Quite possibly the scariest thing.... In reply to
> I think it's BS that America won't show any part of the exhibit in the States.

Qooq, there's nothing stopping anybody from showing any exhibit in the US. I'm sure there are plenty of groups that would gladly sponsor such an exhibit if it hasn't already been around. They could probably even get a standing invitation to Berkley, CA. Wink

A similar question might be to ask why Japan still won't teach any substantive W.W.II history in its classrooms? It would also be nice if Japan apologized for the enslavement of 'Comfort Women' across Asia. They've gotten close, but they just can't seem to say they're sorry. Not to mention an apology due combatant & noncombatant prisoners for the atrocities done to them...or to the family members of prisoners killed by the Japanese. The Germans in contrast were down right friendly to their combat prisoners.

Don't get me wrong, I spent nearly 4 years in Japan and loved every minute of it. The people were warm, friendly, and almost always welcoming. I look forward to returning again in the future.

Some people do have trouble putting the war behind them, on all sides. I have two acquaintances who were prisoners of the Japanese during the war. One was so starved (nearly to death) that he couldn't even leave his hospital ship bed in Tokyo harbor to view his comrades in the 20th Air Force as they flew overhead. Just a few ships over the armistice was being signed on the USS Missouri. He was lucky not to have been executed like so many other B-29 airmen. But he put the war behind him and returns frequently meeting with Japanese veterans and other groups.

The other former prisoner was a close family friend I looked up to tremendously while growing up. He refused to even allow me to send him post cards from Japan. For him, I guess the torture is something he could never let go of. He has since passed on and I regret that I never had the chance to take him back to Japan to see if he couldn't face down his demons.

My paternal grandfather was part of the Army forces waiting to invade Japan at the end of the war. Instead he became part of the first wave of the Allied Occupation Force, his memories are of a country in ruins. He really enjoyed the pictures I'd send him of a rebuilt Yokohama.

My maternal grandfather was killed in the skies over Germany in 1944.

What does all that mean? Nothing I guess. But Hiroshima and Nagasaki mean many different things - depending on who you were and what you were doing at the time.

But I agree, lightning is cool shit...as long as you and it maintain good separation!! Cool

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Aug 7, 2002, 9:11 PM
Quote Reply
I agree Japan should finally stand up and do the right thing.

It's just too bad that the politicians only dilly dally with the whole episode. Also, the Ministry of Education should also finally take a stance and teach more of what truly happened rather than a 90% watered down version.

My uncle died somewhere on/in Russia. A great uncle was knighted in Denmark. And my Grandfathers ... well, they were on the loosing side. My grandmother took the family secrets to the grave with her so I don't know much more than her side of the family.

War just sucks.

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] topic drift In reply to
I don't think too many would disagree with you on that point.

If your relatives were American or British I could tell you all kinds of resources to pursue if you were interested in researching their history.

Is there any kind of Imperial archive that Japanese families could access to learn details? With so many war dead spread far across the region I would bet there is some sort of organized service.

In the long shot category, there is a Japanese collection at the National Archives II facility in Maryland but I believe it is more oriented to toward war crimes documents. It might be worth checking to see if they have other more generic captured records, http://www.archives.gov.

I've been able to obtain copies (translated versions and originals) of some Luftwaffe documents that I needed for my own research.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] topic drift In reply to
Nope, they were Danish and German at the time. Makes learning history quite interesting.

Wow, digging into all kinds of records. My mothers side was from East Germany. So, it's pretty hard to find things these days, after the KGB had their fun.

oh well, the war has past. I look forward to the future Angelic

Quote Reply
There are many more resources in Europe. If you're truly interested I could point you toward some German researchers.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] topic drift In reply to
Actually my mother more than I would be interested.

Would you mind? We'd both appreciate it Angelic

Quote Reply
Be happy to. Do you know which branches of service you believe they served in (army, air, navy, home guard)? It's not overly critical but would help to narrow down the research specialties. Also general region of origin may be helpful.

Most of my guys are Luftwaffe oriented, but they have contacts all over and I should be able to get a couple of names in short order.

Also would you prefer to communicate in English or German with the researchers?

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Scott
> >