Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Cable Modem Weirdness

Quote Reply
Cable Modem Weirdness
This is totally weird and has me baffled.

I have a broadband cable connection through my digital tv box. It runs from the tv in our lounge through the ceiling into my bedroom where it plugs into my ethernet card.

For a while now my connection has been playing up. It will just drop for no reason, sometimes 4-5 times a day.

My computer tower is about 6 inches away from a wall.

Now here's the weird part. When my connection drops I can guarantee that one of two ways will reconnect me.

The first way is to move my tower away from the wall - even just a few inches. the connection comes back instantaneously.

The second way is to just put my hand around the back of the pc somewhere near the ethernet card.

It's just totally weird I can't figure out what the heck is going on.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 19, 2003, 9:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Cable Modem Weirdness In reply to
Bad connection or bad bit of cable.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Cable Modem Weirdness In reply to
It can't be a bad connection as my ethernet card is lit up the whole time with the activity light flashing.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 19, 2003, 10:02 AM
Quote Reply
Doesn't take much to drop connection. If there's a minor flaw, crack, kink, in the cable wire, a light jostle can be enough to drive you nuts. Could also be in the connector itself.
Quote Reply
>>>For a while now my connection has been playing up. It will just drop for no reason, sometimes 4-5 times a day. <<<

LOL..you try being on dial up at the moment. I get cut off 30-40 times a day. The real bugger is that a lot of people have my email address, so I can't really just move ISP, because my email will be lost Unsure

It sucks!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Cable Modem Weirdness In reply to
Quote:
I get cut off 30-40 times a day.[/qoute]
Yikes! 900 to 1200 dialup calls per month....

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
My cable modem has been acting up as well. However, mine has a short somewhere in the power connection. If I move the modem, even slightly, the power on it flashes off and on, and then I have to wait on it to initialize and resync with the network. Luckily, it's the property of my ISP so they will replace it. Smile

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Cable Modem Weirdness In reply to
You ought to buy a domain name ($25/yr US) and use email forwarding to whatever ISP you want to use that week/month/year. I did that 3 years ago and can't understand why everyone doesn't doo the same.

Sounds like a cable/connector prob to me too.....either that, or ghosts! Wink

Dave
Quote Reply
It has to do with the cable signal and your modem accepts only a certain "band" or part of that signal. When your cable modem starts getting flaky the cable guy can come out and either lower or boost the signal strength. Of course then that screws up the guy-down-the-street's TV reception and he has the cable company come out and change it back the other way. There is also the matter of "leakage" which can be caused by loose connections, bad wire. Could there be something in the wall (power outlet?) that is causing intereference? We've had a similar problem with laser printer cable being draped over a power cord of a photo copier. Everytime someone made copies - the laser printer printed out gibberish.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Cable Modem Weirdness In reply to
I've done a bit more investigation and it "seems" to be a connection issue. When my mum comes in and hoovers my room and moves the computer tower or if I accidentally move the cable with my foot then the connection will drop. Weird thing is though, I can get the connection back by unplugging my cable box downstairs and then turning it back on again - I would have thought that if it was the cable then I'd need to fiddle around with it rather than just going downstairs.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 27, 2003, 2:51 AM
Quote Reply
Why don't you try doing your own hovering? ;-)

- wil