Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Spam been going mad :/

Quote Reply
Spam been going mad :/
Hi,

Has anyone else noticed a ten fold increase of spam recently? :/

I'm used to getting a lot of spam - but recently, for some reason, a lot is getting past my GMail spam filters :/

Mainly these type of emails (with attachments);

Quote:
Hello! I am tired this evening. I am nice girl that would like to chat with you. Email me at Jenny@vbtut.com only, because I am using my friend's email to write this. Hope you will like my pictures.

Are the spammers just getting cleverer, or maybe the Gmail filters are just getting a bit lapse? Pirate

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Spam been going mad :/ In reply to
It is not just you - my dedicated server is control spam more than sites.

Its time for another big bust and 100 years prison time for the offenders.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Spam been going mad :/ In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, I swear almost half my server bandwidth is going on junk emails

Quote:
Its time for another big bust and 100 years prison time for the offenders.

Yeah, I'm all up for that. Either $50,000 fine for offenders who are caught, or 50 years in jail Tongue (in all honesty though, I doubt the governments around the world would have the guts to do it - especially places like Nigeria, who are renound for being spammers/con-artists)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
DateLine NBC did a report on how the scammers are living on the borders because no one will do business with Nigeria anymore. They use the other countries address and then pick the stuff up and move it into Nigeria.

To prevent our jail systems from being overwhelmed with spammers, we could use them to feed the Zoo animals Wink

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Spam been going mad :/ In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
DateLine NBC did a report on how the scammers are living on the borders because no one will do business with Nigeria anymore. They use the other countries address and then pick the stuff up and move it into Nigeria.

Yeah, thats the problem. We get wise to something, so they come up with another way so scam people (I almost lost my PSP and I-Pod selling on ebay, with some people from Nigeria - fortunately, ebay shut their account down before I'd even seen their bid, so didn't actually loose out (although, I lost my listing - cos they wouldn't let me re-list for free Mad )

Quote:
To prevent our jail systems from being overwhelmed with spammers, we could use them to feed the Zoo animals Wink

LMAO!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I noticed this too, right about this time, and I'm getting over 2000 spam mails on one Email address A DAY!!

Almost 10,000 since 4/15.

It's killing my ability to use my primary email address.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Spam been going mad :/ In reply to
Hi,

Yeah. Fortunately - I forward my email to a Gmail.com account, which helps a hell of a lot - as it filters out 99% of the spam (sometimes a good email, every once in a while too - but I can live with that <G>).

May be worth looking into. You get SOOO much space - I'm using 2526mb, but had 6500mb available Smile (finding emails is also a piece of cake too - cos its like google search - but for your emails =))

Definatly a lot more spam going around though

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>> I forward my email to a Gmail.com account

I was actually wondering about that.

I was wondering if they would consider *everything* spam, since it was forwarded....

Might give it a try with a non destructive forward.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I was actually wondering about that.

I was wondering if they would consider *everything* spam, since it was forwarded....

Might give it a try with a non destructive forward.

Nah,sometimes the odd one is (mainly if its sent from an online form, you andy @ ultranerds.com -cos it doesn't have the right headers. If its sent from a genuine email system, then it comes through fine (been using it for a good year - maybe 2 - and never had any major problems)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
After 24 hours, all I can say is why didn't I do it before!

I'm finding messages I've been missing for years, and the only mistake it's made so far is something that is probably actually "spam" but I want to receive.

It's already been worth it. Wow.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
heheh good to hear =)

The only annoyance I've ever had, is a few messages getting treated as spam - but I can live with that, if it means I don't have to manually delete 1500-3000 spam emails a day Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Guys,

I was so impressed with Gmails spam filter, that I've moved all email directly over to Google using Google Applications for Your Domain.
This took a lot of load off my server, as I removed all email from the server and put it onto Google. Website and FTP services stay on my dedicated server, but no email (apart from that sent outbound by various scripts). This just required updating the DNS records to do this.
One of the problems with using Gmail is that when sending email you can change the email reply address to what you want but clients like Outlook sometimes still see it as being the original gmail address like yourname@gmail.com
Using Google Apps means that your return address is yourname@yourdomain.com

The best thing is that the standard edition is free and EACH user account gets 6.67Gb of space with pop and mime access if required. They have also just introduced Google sites etc which could be another interesting product.

I sound like I have shares in Google (which I don't) but using google for the email for my own domain has taken a massive admin load from me and the server.

Cheers,
Piers
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] Spam been going mad :/ In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, I've got nothing but good things to say about about GMail <G> Been a real lifesaver for my emails (cutting spam from thousands, to a few [if that] spam emails a day getting into my inbox :))

The amount of space you get is amazing too - think even with all the spam I get (and have to keep, in case any good emails ended up in there that I didn't know about), I'm only just over 2.5Gb - out of 6.5gb odd :D)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk