Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Diagnostics...

Quote Reply
Diagnostics...
I've just tried fitting a new hard drive into one of my PC's (my old one had damaged sectors, and wouldn't format or load). The problem is, that now the monitor won't come online. The orange light shows, but not the green one (along with the screen that should be displayed).

Parts that I can see are working are;

Disk drive
CD-ROM
Hard Drive
CPU Fan

What would you guys expect it to be? Shot motherboard, RAM???

Thanks for any advice..this has really ruined my day, cos I just went out and spent £60 on a new hard drive, but now the PC works even less than it did before! Unsure (btw...I've changed the HDD over again, back to the original, incase it was an incompatible one...but its still doing the same thing).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Diagnostics... In reply to
Are you sure you didn't do something when fitting the new HD?

Didn't knock any connectors?...touch anything?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Diagnostics... In reply to
I don't think so. All I did, was unscrew the old HD, take the RAM out, cos it was blocking the way (good old Time machines), and then put the new HD in. Then put RAM back in, and restart the machine. First I thought the cable was loose, and I've even tested if it was the graphics card, by putting an old one (from another machine) into it, and plugging the monitor in.

Its looking more and more like the motherboard is shot Pirate

Chgers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You probably jiggled the VGA card just enough to make a bad connection. Either that or the cord is slightly unscrewed. Do you have the system speaker plugged in? You should hear a beep code that will identify a problem usually.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Diagnostics... In reply to
Its a built in gfx card Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
RAM and graphics card are the only 2 things that come to mind aside from a dead board. Test your hardware in one of your other computers.

My roommates board blew a few weeks ago while it was running, and continued to run braindead until he shut it off (and then it never ran again).

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
those things are horrible! Unless your bios will automatcily switch default VGA adapter to PCI/AGP, there's no way you'll be able to use that pc again if that's the problem.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Yeah..it sucks. I think I'm gonna take it into my mates tomorrow, who owns a computer shop. Hopefully he can sort out what it is, cos he will be able to wap parts etc, to see if bits are not working. I feel so gutted though, after spending £60 on a new hard drive Frown Eugh!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
If you have multiple RAM sticks, try starting the machine with just one stick in. And make sure it's in the zero slot.

If it boots, up, try adding the 2nd stick and see what happens.

Edit: obviously after you powered down, etc., etc., etc. You might have fried the RAM while handling it.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 13, 2003, 12:58 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Diagnostics... In reply to
He's only got one 64Mb RAM stick....its as a '99 machine.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Do you have a PC speaker hooked up? What audio beeps are you getting? Should be able to find the error reference online to determine what error code (beep sequence) you're getting.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Diagnostics... In reply to
Yeah, turned out to be the motherboard. I just upgraded it to a new motherboard, with a 1.3Ghz processor on it. While I was there, I got tempted to buy a new PC...so now I'm the proud owner of a 1.7Ghz P4 512Mb RAM, DVD, CD-RW, 64Mb Voodo Graphics card, and more Smile

Thanks for the help guys.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk