Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

upgrading my server

Quote Reply
upgrading my server
Hi:

currently, i have a pIII 1000 with 1 gig mem. I am running a pretty popular forum, and links. whewn i added adverto pro, it started to bog down. i desided to get a new server, and leave adverto pro on the old one by itself.

anyone else see advertpro bog a server? Anyone have any solutions?

here is my new- cookin' server. comments appreciated!

supermicro mb, 2.4 gig xeon HT (dual possible, just one for now), 533 fsb, 2 gig ram. got 5 of the new wd 40 gig drives w/ 8 meg cache... one for os, 3 in a raid 5 array, one hot spare. (these puppies book!) andd i loaded it down with fans... 2 80 mm in, one 125 mm out, 2 92 mm to circulate, and each hd on a cooling rack.

how does that sound? anything you would add?

ok, have one more question. currently, my isp hosts my mysql. now that they know i am upgrading, they say i am putting a strain on their mysql server... probably true! They tell me i can add mysql to the new server, and it will be ok. not having run a db, i do not know what to expect.

i think i would feel better adding a whole new box for mysql, or- at least- a new raid 5 subsystem. your thoughts appreciated!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] upgrading my server In reply to
Hi dave,

It seems that this is a very good server for advertpro. You should install mysql on the new server for advertpro if it needs. To do so makes your exiting apps less burden.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Hi,

Have you alredy got the server? If not, I would go with 15k SCSI drives and AMD processors. You'll see a big performance improvement. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] upgrading my server In reply to
Thanks Alex....

SCSI are maybe a future upgrade... too much $$$ now. Blush

But AMD over Intel surprises me... I thought Intel was the way to go...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Do you really need that much disk space? 40 gig for the o/s seems enormous. If you don't need that much space you could get two 15k 36g scsi drives, and get much better performance, and just mirror the drives nightly for backup purposes. Should work out to a similiar cost.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] upgrading my server In reply to
No, I do not need 40 gig for the os, but that is about as small as they come anymore!

Backup nightly- that is a great idea! Here I was looking at all sorts of fancy raid cards...

however, the os drive is not b/u... just the web pages are on the raid...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase