Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Hey - Pop Off!

Quote Reply
Hey - Pop Off!
According to the big advertisers (this is from burst media) pop ads are popular and effective so there will be millions more coming your way. Looking forwarded to them, aren't you?

A site I was visiting only yesterday gave the worst example ever of an intrusion on one's surfing. This evil ad pops up, takes over the whole screen at 800/600 covering everything including the taskbar, disables the right click, and maps the whole page as one big hotspot effectively locking you into going forward with the ad.

Now that was really bad. Mad

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
>>
According to the big advertisers (this is from burst media) pop ads are popular and effective
<<

Are they totally dilluded or what?

I got a popup the other day that went across my whole screen but only part the way up, like a big task bar...it was quite impressive really but I had no way to kill it :(

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 14, 2002, 12:10 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
Pop ups really are bad.

But most of these big advertisers are taking ques from the adult webmasters of the past.

Next thing we will see is "traps" and "round robins" used in traditional advertising. Something I for one am NOT looking forward to.Unsure Oh Well!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
I don't mind adverts but pop-ups send me insane, exit consoles too.

...and I HATE popups that open popups.
Quote Reply
That's the "Round Robins" that when one is closed another opens, and so on, and so on, and so on...

And of course they end up sometimes with the "Full Screen" trap that you have to use the keyboard to get rid of only to start another round of Round Robin ads...

I think that the people that come up with these will fit the serial killer profile from the FBI in a few years like people that abuse animals do now.Unsure
Quote Reply
No way to kill it?

Use Mozilla. It has a specific feature to turn off pop-ups and pop-unders without tampering with your normal JS settings. Neat.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
Cool<--- XP and BY junkie here "Got to have my Microsoft!"

Actually I block a lot of ads with IS 2002 Norton but once you get caught it is like a race to close windows before the script gets a chance to run. Smile Kind of a challenge sometimes but most of the time I reaaly don't want to play that video game.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
UGH...don't make me rant about Microsoft...just ask QooQ...he will tell you.

Mess with the best die like the rest...

Why don't you just end the IE task...that will pretty much pop you out of the "supposedly" infinite loop that you are in because how is it going to spawn on something that is not there...Unsure

Crapshoot70 (this isn't my real name)
--
I don't like anyone...but everyone LOVES me Unsure
--
AKA...The Post Pirate Pirate
Quote Reply
Re: [Crapshoot70] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
That would take all the fin out of it though!Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Crapshoot70] Hey - Pop Off! In reply to
>>Mess with the best die like the rest... <<

Hey stop stealing my awesome quotes Wink